• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping Chocolate Tempered in Melting pot overnight

eglies

Hi guys,

Please help, I prepare my chocolate in melting pot all good perfect temper leave it overnight in melting pot covered and at the correct temperature, when I come in the morning its thicker and need to use heat gun to rewarm it. I am worried about it going out of temper. Any tricks to recommend?

Thanks

Open to other solutions but I don’t think that you can leave chocolate in a melter unattended for several hours and still have it be in temper. As you mentioned, it will over-crystallize and turn to sludge.

When I am working with chocolate for several days in a row, I keep my chocolate in the melter overnight at a temperature high enough to keep all the chocolate melted and fluid. In the morning, I temper the chocolate in the melter and make adjustments throughout the day to keep the chocolate in temper.

• Like 3

It's the nature of tempered chocolate to thicken over time when held in a melter. Options are to store overnight warmer and out of temper - then temper again in the am.

Alternately you can push the temperature of the tempered chocolate in the morning to the maximums - 34.5 for dark, 32.5 for milk or add some warm untempered chocolate to the thickened mass to dilute the over tempered crystals.

• Like 1

I do as @curls does.  Heck, even if I'm just pausing and doing something else for an hour I turn the melter up a few degrees to prevent excessive crystallization. 

You can't expect to temper once a week or even once a day and just keep the chocolate warm & ready, it takes constant maintenance.

• Like 1