• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

gulfporter

Ugly Delicious on Netflix

This is a series that began earlier this year but we just happened upon it.  Watched the 1st show of season about pizza and enjoyed it.  Fast moving with lots of debate about WHAT a pizza is.  From Brooklyn to Naples to Tokyo to.......Domino's.  Host is Chef David Chang of Momofuku fame.  

In my view, the third episode (on home cooking) should have been the first of the series, as it introduces us to the notion of "ugly delicious" and sets the tone and context for the rest of the series. That discussion comes about eight and a half minutes into the episode. I found this to the best episode of the series -- at once the most heartwarming and cerebral, the latter without trying to be. Other episodes can end up with somewhat artificial conversation in the form of panel discussions on the nature of ____________. Instead, this one just shows you beautiful people cooking ugly, unpretentious food whose validity and deliciousness is obvious and without question. It invites the haughtier among us to transvaluate their culinary values and realize that there is something incomparably wonderful to be found in simple, coarse, and ugly cooking. The rest of the series looks best through this lens. 

• Like 2

Bumping this thread up.  I have watch three episodes so far and thoroughly enjoyed all of them....had to watch the pizza one again so my DH could see it too.

Hope there's more to come.....I see it has renewed for a season two...happy dance.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)