• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: 2002-2009 Seasons

Hopleaf

I'm in Chicago.

It DOES look lovely.

What's a preservation order? Will it keep the landlord from her paving frenzy?

Noise is music. All else is food.

Finally planted a bed this weekend. Put some butter crunch lettuce in, jalapenos (though I wanted to put serrano in, oh well!), red hot chili peppers, two tomato plants, sage, cilantro and chive. I also put marigolds along the bed border...I heard these are an effective animal deterrant (I gather that I'll be battling a rabbit and several gourmet squirrels...there may be chicken wire in my future).

Also got a wisteria plant and some strawberries (beanpod put those in a planter, will they do well there?).

Again with the dirty fingernails in the office on a Monday. Heh, heh, heh!!!

Speaking of serrano, does anyone know if it's ok to start those at this point from seed with the hopes of getting a decent harvest? it says 70 days on the packet and that would have me transplanting by late July. (I'm in NW suburban Chicago).

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Speaking of serrano, does anyone know if it's ok to start those at this point from seed with the hopes of getting a decent harvest? it says 70 days on the packet and that would have me transplanting by late July. (I'm in NW suburban Chicago).

No. Buy and plant or two and put them in.

I will put in tomatos and peppers and green beans (the latter from seed) the week after Memorial Day.

Remember with tomatos and peppers that if the soil and nights aren't warm, they won't do squat.

I experimented one year and put in a couple of tomatos and peppers before Mem. Day and a few about a week and a half later. One week following the 2nd planting, I couldn't tell a difference between them.

Enjoy your wisteria! On what sort of structure will it climb? We put in a pergola a few years ago and planted a wisteria. It's my favorite feature of my house, yard and life.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I love this gardening thread here. I'm wondering if anyone else here lives in a tropical zone (I'm in 11, I think..). Things that should be full sun go in semi-shade, planting times are different; it's a learning curve for me, even though I grew up in Florida. Anyone else in this climate with more experience than me - I'd love to learn from! Right now I have a lot of basil, oregano, hot peppers, chives, scallions and the last tomatoes going (the others weren't really *done* but the heat ate them up), and a few other herbs started in different little areas around my yard, a lot under scraggly trees for the shade.

Regardless, it's still great to read about what other people are doing in the garden! Will be reading to see how they grow.

No.  Buy and plant or two and put them in.

I will put in tomatos and peppers and green beans (the latter from seed) the week after Memorial Day.

Remember with tomatos and peppers that if the soil and nights aren't warm, they won't do squat.

I experimented one year and put in a couple of tomatos and peppers before Mem. Day and a few about a week and a half later.  One week following the 2nd planting, I couldn't tell a difference between them.

Enjoy your wisteria!  On what sort of structure will it climb?  We put in a pergola a few years ago and planted a wisteria.  It's my favorite feature of my house, yard and life.

There's a 2-foot by 8-foot lattice that was attached to the garage when we moved in. We're waiting to see what come sup below it (neighbor says there's roses in that spot), but wanted to add the wisteria to climb the lattice. The spot gets a lot of sun.

I guess I'll just have to see how the tomatoes and peppers do cuz they're already in the ground, and other than last night when the temp dropped into the forties, it has been in the fifties over night for abotu a week. The soil temp (just checking a foot down with my hand) didn't seem too cool. Cross your fingers!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

These things actually work. You can get a headstart on the tomato season.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

There's a 2-foot by 8-foot lattice that was attached to the garage when we moved in. We're waiting to see what come sup below it (neighbor says there's roses in that spot), but wanted to add the wisteria to climb the lattice.

I hope your lattice is very sturdy because wisteria is extremely heavy and needs a really good support.

We had put in our veggies last week when it was nice, and then nearly everything died when it got cold, and we ended up having to replace it all. Not only was it expensive, but it put us behind a week. I buy plants at the nursery because our season is so short. I learned my lesson and have walls of water around everything now.

There's a 2-foot by 8-foot lattice that was attached to the garage when we moved in. We're waiting to see what come sup below it (neighbor says there's roses in that spot), but wanted to add the wisteria to climb the lattice.

I hope your lattice is very sturdy because wisteria is extremely heavy and needs a really good support.

We had put in our veggies last week when it was nice, and then nearly everything died when it got cold, and we ended up having to replace it all. Not only was it expensive, but it put us behind a week. I buy plants at the nursery because our season is so short. I learned my lesson and have walls of water around everything now.

Thanks JSD. I'll double check the sturdiness of the lattice. Like I said, it's been there for awhile, so I might have to replace it.

These things [water walls] actually work. You can get a headstart on the tomato season.

Those are brilliant! I've never seen them before. Is the plastic strong enough to take a few beak peckings from wild (translate: can't get rid of them) chickens? I don't have the frost problem but I think they'd work well half filled with dirt to retain moisture.

..... but I think they'd work well half filled with dirt to retain moisture.

At first, I'd try using them as intended. They're pretty sturdy.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

I grow greenhouse tomatos them semi-hydroponically, using the Easi-grow system from Bulrush.

These are expanded polystyrene boxes, about 3 ft by 2ft by 1ft, like the sort they use to ship fish. Lined with polythene. In the lid are three tubes, like 4 inch diameter drainpipes flush with the top and going down almost to the bottom, evenly spaced along the long centre line

You put a grow-bag on top, and punch a hole through to the tube underneath, which you fill with material from the growbag. You fill the bottom box with water that acts as a large reservoir, and the tubes of earth act as wicks. Plant three tomato plants in each.

Magic. No need to water for two weeks, even in high summer. You can add feed to the reservoir as well. Much easier than drip systems.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I grow greenhouse tomatos  them semi-hydroponically, using the Easi-grow system from Bulrush.

These sound good as well, and I'll look them up. I bet they have to be used as intended as well. Gardening therapy. Any way to save water here is seriously worth a try - we usually get cut off mid-July for days at a time. Thanks!

semi-hydroponically, using the Easi-grow system from Bulrush.

Magic. No need to water for two weeks, even in high summer. You can add feed to the reservoir as well. Much easier than drip systems.

Mmm. Semi-hydroponically.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Thanks for the advice. Using something as it's intended! This could be life changing, I'm going to try it.

MJ..... I wouldn't think that you'd need them at all on Culebra.

-- Jeff

MJ..... I wouldn't think that you'd need them at all on Culebra.

The reason I liked them is because what I usually do is cut out the bottom of a pot/bucket and fill it 3/4 with dirt...over and above ground level, to keep in any extra moisture. Otherwise, two thiings happen...chickens and iguanas think I have a new menu item for them (yes, eventually high chicken wire, but this is a low budget operation here), and...the ground goes to baked status between 7 and noon. The water walls also just look really cool too!

In all the excitement of Chelsea Flower show I was pleased to see that Peter Beales Roses had won the Presidents Award. They laid out my rose garden, which is just coming into flower, with the Dunwich Rose leading the way. For not very much more than the cost of the roses, they designed it, and came and planted it. Delightful (and expert) people.

I've just picked an Alberic Barbier for my desk, white, with primrose yellow to he base of the petals.

I have not read through all 12 pages of this thread so please forgive me if my question has been answered elsewhere. I am getting ready to kill the grass in my new home in the patch where the garden is going to go. I will be using the newspaper/mulch method mentioned in the beginning of this thread. My question is, if I put the newspaper and mulch in this evening, how long before the grass is killed and the ground is ready to be tilled and planted?? FYI I do live in Houston and it is already sunny and about 85 degrees F during the day.

thanks

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

So I am in Chicago, and it has been cool here. A couple of days ago I potted:

Orange mint

Lemon Thyme

English Thyme

Pineapple Sage

Lavender

Greek Oregano

French Tarragon

Coupla zinnias

Ornamental grass

A pretty geranium--not scented but more delicate than the usual campy geraniums I grew up with.

As with the varying temperatures: are there any plants I should bring in until memorial day (monday)?

I have also sprouted from seed: spicy basil, dill, and coriander.

Edited by nerissa (log)

I have not read through all 12 pages of this thread so please forgive me if my question has been answered elsewhere. I am getting ready to kill the grass in my new home in the patch where the garden is going to go. I will be using the newspaper/mulch method mentioned in the beginning of this thread. My question is, if I put the newspaper and mulch in this evening, how long before the grass is killed and the ground is ready to be tilled and planted?? FYI I do live in Houston and it is already sunny and about 85 degrees F during the day.

thanks

FM

I think that it would take atleast a couple of weeks to get the results you are looking for - but with the difference in weather that I have it may be quicker for you.

I had a big pile of wood chips along side our garage and it was there for about 3 weeks and when we finally transferred all the chips there was a nice earthy area - too bad I didn't think of putting the wood chips where I actually didn't want grass to be growing!! :smile:

As with the varying temperatures:  are there any plants I should bring in until memorial day (monday)?

No, here's the forecast:

Today

May 23 AM Showers

56°/44°

30 %

Sat

May 24 Mostly Sunny

62°/46°

10 %

Sun

May 25 Scattered Showers

60°/46°

30 %

Mon

May 26 Partly Cloudy

62°/43°

10 %

Tue

May 27 Partly Cloudy

70°/52°

0 %

Wed

May 28 Isolated T-Storms

72°/53°

30 %

- too bad I didn't think of putting the wood chips where I actually didn't want grass to be growing!!  :smile:

yeah, too bad you didn't think of that.

:wink: