• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A sandwich to go

Kasia

A SANDWICH TO GO

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a snack which you can grab and eat "on the go". I know that it is unhealthy. We should celebrate eating and eat calmly and with deliberation. However, sometimes the day is too short for everything on our schedule and we still have to eat. Admittedly, we can sin and go for some fast food, but it is healthier and tastier to prepare something quickly in our own kitchen.

Today, Camembert cheese and cranberries in a fresh, crunchy roll take the lead role. It sounds easy and yummy, doesn't it? Try it and get on with your day Uśmiech. Today I used a homemade cranberry preserve which was left over from dessert, but if you like you can buy your own.

Ingredients:
2 fresh rolls (your favourite ones)
150g of camembert cheese
1 handful of lettuce
2 teaspoons of butter
2 teaspoons of pine nuts or sunflower seeds
preserve
100g of fresh cranberries
3 tablespoons of brown sugar
100ml of apple juice

Wash the cranberries. Put the cranberries, sugar and apple juice into a pan with a heavy bottom and boil with the lid on for 10-12 minutes, stirring from time to time. Try it and if necessary add some sugar. Leave to cool down. Cut the rolls in half and spread with the butter. Put some lettuce on one half of the roll. Slice the camembert cheese and arrange it on the lettuce. Put a fair portion of the cranberry preserve on top of the cheese. Sprinkle with the roast pine nuts or sunflower seeds and cover with the second half of the roll.

Enjoy your meal!

DSC_0134a.jpg

• Like 2

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Unhealthy to eat a sandwich?

I think @Kasia refers to the "on the go", as the opposite of sitting down and taking your meal in a relaxed atmosphere. At least I can relate to that, as I find rushed meals somewhat stressful...

(and of course sandwiches per se are unhealthy, too. In human history, everyone who has ever eaten at least one sandwich has either died or will do so in a general 1-100 year timeframe)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

While it certainly may seem stressful to eat a rushed meal  instead of sitting down and taking your time. Is there actually any scientific evidence to prove that it is unhealthy to do so?

And yes indeed eating sandwiches and death are positively correlated - as is drinking water and death.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

And yes indeed eating sandwiches and death are positively correlated - as is drinking water and death.

That is why for the last 20+ years I have made significant progress in systematically lowering the water content of my beverages. After an ill-fated attempt with smoothies I have discovered a class of drinks that contain only 60% of water, even less if taken as shots without ice cubes added. The effects are mostly positive - I feel much more alive while consuming these beverages ...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Alcohol itself has anti-oxidant properties, @Duvel. You certainly should press-on with your research.

Thanks for the encouragement - it takes a lot of dedication sometimes. But I have been assured that even if I fail to reach a biblical age using this methodology, I certainly look like it already ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2