• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

To rectify a shameful incompetence in my native language.

I've been away from home for just over a week. Nothing interesting to report food-wise other than I had one evening meal with a couple of young Chinese associates at a roadside grilled oyster stand. I asked the woman in charge of the place to serve me some shucked, uncooked oysters. She looked highly suspicious but complied. Unfortunately she ditched all the liquid from them, though!

I had been talking with my companions explaining that raw is my (and many others') preferred way of eating oysters. They didn't believe me. Most Chinese people are hugely nervous of eating anything raw. Rare beef? Forget it. Salad? Rarely.

Anyway, raw oysters arrived and I scoffed the first plate of 10, then ordered another, to the amazement of my companions and the vendor. When the second plate arrived, each of my two companions decided they would risk trying one, on condition that I promised they wouldn't die. I explained that I had no ability to render them immortal and that one day they will pop off, but probably not any time soon.

To my delight, they tried one each; proclaimed them surprisingly OK, but preferred the grilled ones (grilled with a little chilli, garlic and topped with vermicelli). Brave young women.

But this all just a prelude to my saying that I arrived back home this evening about 7:30 and threw together a quick store cupboard dish of linguine with duck meat slivers (from the freezer), rehydrated dried shiitake, green chilli (from my balcony plants), pimiento-stuffed olives (from a bottle), and tomato. Lots of black pepper.

Tomorrow, I'll go shopping and get back into cooking.

dn.thumb.jpg.eae467adad6391822c642c7f79dc9cbd.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

I've been away from home for just over a week. Nothing interesting to report food-wise other than I had one evening meal with a couple of young Chinese associates at a roadside grilled oyster stand. I asked the woman in charge of the place to serve me some shucked, uncooked oysters. She looked highly suspicious but complied. Unfortunately she ditched all the liquid from them, though!

I had been talking with my companions explaining that raw is my (and many others') preferred way of eating oysters. They didn't believe me.Most Chinese people are hugely nervous of eating anything raw. Rare beef? Forget it. Salad? Rarely.

Anyway, raw oysters arrived and scoffed the first plate and ordered another, to the amazement of my companions and the vendor. When the second plate arrived, each of two companions decided they would risk trying one, on condition that I promised they wouldn't die. I explained that I had no ability to render them immortal and that one day they will pop off, but probably not any time soon.

To my delight they tried one each; proclaimed them OK, but preferred the grilled ones (grilled with a little chilli and topped with vermicelli). Brave young women.

But this all just a prelude to my saying that I arrived back home this evening about 7:30 and threw together a quick store cupboard dish of linguine with duck meat slivers (from the freezer), rehydrated shiitake, green chilli (from my balcony plants), pimiento-stuffed olives, and tomato. Lots of black pepper.

Tomorrow, I'll go shopping and get back into cooking.

dn.thumb.jpg.eae467adad6391822c642c7f79dc9cbd.jpg