• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

Those wings sound awesome. Do you have a recipe/technique you could share?

It is something I picked up from watching Korean Food made Simple with Judy Joo. She whipped this mixture up for any number of things.

I will usually make a big batch when I do whole rotisserie chicken and use the extra sauce to freeze wings. I will put 6 cut up wings in a freezer bag with 1/4 cup of this sauce and they are ready to go in just a few minutes under running water. 

These amounts are my approximation based on what I saw Judy do. I had trouble identifying gochujang in markets, as the labels vary. Now, I order a few tubs at a time from Amazon Smile and always have some on hand. As the wings finish (I find 50 minutes @ 400 F works well), brush them with a mixture of soy and gochujang, to moisten.

Korean BBQ Sauce

1 cup soy sauce

4 heaping TBS gochujang

3 cloves garlic, peeled and grated

1 thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and shredded

1 heaping TBS brown sugar

¼ cup bourbon or dry sherry

1 TBS toasted sesame oil

Zip this up ( I use an immersion blender)

Add 3 chopped green onions

HungryChris

HungryChris

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

Those wings sound awesome. Do you have a recipe/technique you could share?

It is something I picked up from watching Korean Food made Simple with Judy Joo. She whipped this mixture up for any number of things.

I will usually make a big batch when I do whole rotisserie chicken and use the extra sauce to freeze wings. I will put 6 cut up wings in a freezer bag with 1/4 cup of this sauce and they are ready to go in just a few minutes under running water. 

These amounts are my approximation based on what I saw Judy do. I had trouble identifying gochujang in markets, as the labels vary. Now, I order a few tubs at a time from Amazon Smile and always have some on hand.

HC

Korean BBQ Sauce

1 cup soy sauce

4 heaping TBS gochujang

3 cloves garlic, peeled and grated

1 thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and shredded

1 heaping TBS brown sugar

¼ cup bourbon or dry sherry

1 TBS toasted sesame oil

Zip this up ( I use an immersion blender)

Add 3 chopped green onions