• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

cain't spel

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night:

Soup04212017.png

Clear soup.  Ichiban dashi, nothing else, not even salt.  How I love this.  Burnt my tongue.

Jo,

That's a great-looking dinner! Would you mind telling us why there is that imperfect quarter of dark on your soup bowl? I know you are a master photographer, but what is going on with this?

I always burn the roof of my mouth with really good pizza, hot from the oven. I started this stupid tradition very early with one of my mom's homemade pizzas. I pulled the molten cheese off, it draped over my chin, and I sported a burn there for a couple of weeks. I do usually burn the roof of my mouth at least a little with good hot pizza (one of my favorite foods), but I did learn not to pull the cheese lava onto my face. 9_9 If a restaurant wants to get on my shit list, they can do it very quickly by serving foods that should be hot luke warm or cold. >:( 

Also, would you mind enlightening an ignorant person as to what Ichiban dashi is and how one might make this for themselves?

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night:

Soup04212017.png

Clear soup.  Ichiban dashi, nothing else, not even salt.  How I love this.  Burnt my tongue.

Jo,

That's a great-looking dinner! Would you mind telling us why their is that imperfect quarter of dark on your soup bowl? I know you are a master photographer, but what is going on with this?

I always burn the roof of my mouth with really good pizza, hot from the oven. I started this stupid tradition very early with one of my mom's homemade pizzas. I pulled the molten cheese off, it draped over my chin, and I sported a burn there for a couple of weeks. I do usually burn the roof of my mouth at least a little with good hot pizza (one of my favorite foods), but I did learn not to pull the cheese lava onto my face. 9_9 If a restaurant wants to get on my shit list, they can do it very quickly by serving foods that should be hot luke warm or cold. >:( 

Also, would you mind enlightening an ignorant person as to what Ichiban dashi is and how one might make this for themselves?