• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

@shain

Those peas are really calling out to me. I had to look up Sirene cheese and it seems to me that feta it would be a very  appropriate substitute?  

They are very similar. I'd look for a very soft feta, not crumbly but just breakable, it should be almost spreadable. Flavor wise, look for something milky and not briney, best if it has some aged cheese flavor. It should not be too salty. 

As for the salad as a whole, don't skimp on the mint, and serve at room temperature (I think that peas gets strange texture when cold). 

shain

shain

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

@shain

Those peas are really calling out to me. I had to look up Sirene cheese and it seems to me that feta it would be a very  appropriate substitute?  

They are very similar. I'd look for a very soft feta, not crumbly but just breakable, it should be almost spreadable. Flavor wise, look for something milky and not briney, best if it has some aged cheese flavor. It should not be too salty. 

As for the salad as a whole, don't skimp the milk and serve at room temperature (I think that peas gets strange texture when cold).