• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

And isn't it odd how liuzhou has such an epiphany after giving others a hard time recently for using fried rice as a dumping ground for leftovers?

I never did any such thing. My breakfast today is in complete accord with anything I have previously said.

I previously mentioned unbalanced, inappropriate additions to fried rice. I selected my ingredients carefully. I had other leftovers I could have "dumped" therein but then I am not a complete philistine.

Russian sausage? Do you have many Russian imports in China? I don't think I've ever seen a single product over here from Russia. 

Northern China has many more, but yes, Russian stuff wends its way down here. Areas of Beijing are very Russian. When I first arrived in China, I spent a lot of time there. I could understand people! I had no Chinese then.

That said, we often get "Russian" stuff, too. Nothing wrong with it. It just means that it is Russian style rather than actually made in Russia. But still often made by Russians. The Chinese labelling is unambiguous.

The sausage this morning was imported from Russia (about ten minutes from the border) but we often get "Harbin Red Sausage", which is Russian in all but name.

Russian vodka is very cheap here compared with the UK.

liuzhou

liuzhou

And isn't it odd how liuzhou has such an epiphany after giving others a hard time recently for using fried rice as a dumping ground for leftovers?

I never did any such thing. My breakfast today is in complete accord with anything I have previously said.

I previously mentioned unbalanced, inappropriate additions to fried rice. I selected my ingredients carefully. I had other leftovers I could have "dumped" therein but then I am not a complete philistine.

Russian sausage? Do you have many Russian imports in China? I don't think I've ever seen a single product over here from Russia. 

Northern China has many more, but yes, Russian stuff wends its way down here. Areas 0f Beijing are very Russian. When I first arrived in Chin, I spent a lot of time there. I could understand people! I had no Chinese then.

That said, we often get "Russian" stuff, too. Nothing wrong with it. It just means that it is Russian style rather than actually made in Russia. But still often made by Russians.

The sausage this morning was imported from Russia (about ten minutes from the border) but we often get Harbin Red Sausage, which is Russian in all but name.

Russian vodka is very cheap here compared with the UK.