• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using a serrated knife: technique question

cutter

OK, watched the vid with knife vs tomato.  I think this would work fine for most households and their knives.  Gotta admit I've not considered coring a tomato as shown - I've always quartered them and then angle cut the core out - cause that's the way I first learned.  I'll probably try that later today.  I'll use a straight blade as mine are sharp and I need clean cuts so that juice does not run out of them.  Most households would be better served with serrated as their chef knives will be duller than an Al Gore speach.

Edited by daveb (log)
  • Like 1

I have Rada Cutlery's tomato slicer. It was given to me as a stocking stuffer many Christmases ago. I have trotted it out once at a dinner party where the donor was present. I don't like it. It remains in a drawer in its cardboard and plastic sleeves.

I do keep a couple of long serrated knifes for slicing bread, and was very glad I had them after attempting to slice some crusty, rustic bread I bought the other day with a straight-edged knife. I have very little use for serrated knives otherwise, but whatever works best for you is the way forward.

> ^ . . ^ <

Sometimes I think 98% of the home kitchens have very very very dull knives. and 95% have very dull knives.

If you have very dull knives, a serrrated blade is much better to use, except making sushi.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

hey guys.....just got a email back from craftsy . i asked them the question why he used a serrated knife using the cutting tech. that you would use with a chef knife. the answers was because the serrated knife he used in the video is much less serrated than a serrated knife that will cut bread or a dense material.:)

Edited by cutter (log)

On 3/26/2017 at 9:36 AM, dcarch said:

Sometimes I think 98% of the home kitchens have very very very dull knives. and 95% have very dull knives.

On 3/26/2017 at 8:51 PM, daveb said:

I think the numbers are higher than that.  o.O

Can't get much higher than a 193% (98% + 95%)