• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TONY cover story on forbidden foods

Wilfrid

There was a story - presented as investigative journalism - in Time Out London (in the summer I think) which looked into obtaining bushmeat. (Meat typically imported from Africa - ranging from Antelope to monkey).

I think in that case a justifiable story.

Did Wilfrid write? If only to sign off as 'Disgusted, eGullet'.

Wilma squawks no more

Well, that tears it.  :angry:

Yet another reason why I won't subscribe to TONY. Good for Jenkins! Let's make him an honorary Egulleteer.

Steve Jenkins to moderate eGullet Cheese Board. That would be a cheerful piece of news.

Gavin, if I have time I will. If I have time...

It's interesting this came up, since I'm working on a first-person piece about how there's a hierarchy of good-tasting foods: free food is always tastier than it deserves to be; food that's not on your diet is fabulous; food that breaks religious taboos is awesome; but at the top of the pile is food that's illegal for you and anyone you know to buy, possess, and consume. It's delicious even when it's not.

But yes, kudos to Steve Jenkins for telling Time Out to shove it.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I confess quite publically that I have served illegal wild striped bass (It only seems to be illegal in the state of NJ).  I expect to be cuffed and hauled off to jail any minute.  My co-conspirators being UPS and FedEx.

Its not illegal to serve striped bass, per se. What is illegal is taking striped bass from the Hudson River. Of course, if you are upset by the lack of PCBs in your diet, throw your line in.

I confess quite publically that I have served illegal wild striped bass (It only seems to be illegal in the state of NJ).  I expect to be cuffed and hauled off to jail any minute.   My co-conspirators being UPS and FedEx.

Its not illegal to serve striped bass, per se. What is illegal is taking striped bass from the Hudson River. Of course, if you are upset by the lack of PCBs in your diet, throw your line in.

It is illegal to sell ( and I believe serve) it (wild striped bass) in the State of NJ. A commercial vendors liscense to sell fish in the state of NJ can be stripped if he's found in violation. It is the only state that I know of that has never rescinded the ban once the eastern fishery had returned to viability.

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)