• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

19 minutes ago, kayb said:

I dearly love ripe plantains; tostones, not so much. When I was in Miami for a conference, I found a little Cuban place about a block from the hotel and ate there three times a day. They knew me after the first day, and knew to bring me maduros, plus whatever else they wanted me to try. It's where I learned to love vaca frita.

Yes, I found tostones, as our boys would say, not my favorite. Same goes for mofongo. I kept trying it when we were in Puerto Rico, but apparently I am not a fan of starchy plantains in whatever guise.

Vaca frita sounds like rope vieja (in other words, good).

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

12 minutes ago, kayb said:

I dearly love ripe plantains; tostones, not so much. When I was in Miami for a conference, I found a little Cuban place about a block from the hotel and ate there three times a day. They knew me after the first day, and knew to bring me maduros, plus whatever else they wanted me to try. It's where I learned to love vaca frita.

Yes, I think tostones are made from plantains that are still unripe and starchy. I found them, as our boys would say, not my favorite. Same goes for mofongo. I kept trying it when we were in Puerto Rico, but apparently I am not a fan of starchy plantains in whatever guise.

Vaca frita sounds like rope vieja (in other words, good).