• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric mandoline & dicer

lindag

I'm such a sucker for kitchen gadgets and small appliances!  First the BSO, then the IP, then the CSO.

Now it's this.

I do so much chopping and dicing this time of year as I get really inspired by the colder weather to make soups, casseroles and stews and braises.  I watched the demo and knew I had lost control.

It arrived yesterday and this weekend I'll try it with everything I can find to chop up!

Interested?

• Like 4

Yes, I would kill for one of those ...if it works...if it works for more than 2 1/4 weeks.  My hands are gone and I press my DH, who is willing I must say, into chopping everything for the cooking.  Please report back.  Oh my, I am actually excited about this appliance. 

And...even if this one is not a complete winner...it's on track I hope.  A Godsend for the handicapped among us.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I will certainly be interested in your report but looking at the video it appears the woman is applying a fair amount of force to keep things feeding while holding down the "on" switch. I just don't trust videos much. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Darienne,

I read lots of the reviews and most were very positive as far as the performance;  the only negatives seemed to be that people had trouble with putting the blade sets together.  In looking at the manual, there's a very good color-coded chart that identifies how to put the color-coded blades together.  For me, I really don't think there will be any question. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lindag said:

Darienne,

I read lots of the reviews and most were very positive as far as the performance;  the only negatives seemed to be that people had trouble with putting the blade sets together.  In looking at the manual, there's a very good color-coded chart that identifies how to put the color-coded blades together.  For me, I really don't think there will be any question. 

I have read a few pages of the reviews and you would swear that the posters were talking about two completely different machines.  I await your report, lindag.  Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Did you read the reviews on Amazon.com?  Seem to be lots of operational problems particularly food sticking and jamming the mechanism, struggling with sweet potatoes, size of feed tube, only short fries......   Anxious for @lindag to weigh in with test results. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

watching the vids  based on motor noise , and specific speed variations w different veg , 

Im wondering if the gizmo is underpowered.

i have a few add-on blades for my 11 cup Cuisinart that do a fine job on lots of things , but no dicing system there.

if anything the Cuisinart is over powered for this , and you have to have a good sense of push-rate.

this got me thinking :  with a Cuisinart type machine , a slower speed might be more useful for thin slicing etc

the Cuisinart match stick disc  , which you have to separately is one of my favorite blades

I too am looking forward to 

@lindag  report

• Like 1

If a cook already has a good mandoline and/or a FP, why would she want one of these?

At my age and with my kit, any additional small electric appliance has to be an excellent performer and do something none of my existing kit items can do.  This appliance fails that test.

From a different angle, even if I was tempted to buy this appliance, I hope someone would point me to a rugged, all-metal, manual tool like this: https://www.lehmans.com/product/salad-cutter/choppers-cutters 

Answer: How about arthritis and  carpal tunnel syndrome and just old age for that matter, all of which I have in spades? 

Found another electric mandoline in my search today.  GForce GF-P1158-572  On Amazon.com and Amazon.ca (Canada).  Right.  Same model.  The American one is regular $89.99, special at $49.99.   And the Canadian one is...wait for it...$233.95.  Yes, it is the SAME model.   Canada    USA
Going to lie down quietly for a bit now....
:S:(

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

7 hours ago, daveb said:

Electric Mandy?  Say it isn't so.

Let's put it this way. If it was infinitely adjustable, kept my fingers away from the blade and could be cleaned with ease.....

My 2004 eG Blog

21 hours ago, Darienne said:

Found another electric mandoline in my search today.  GForce GF-P1158-572  On Amazon.com and Amazon.ca (Canada).  Right.  Same model.  The American one is regular $89.99, special at $49.99.   And the Canadian one is...wait for it...$233.95.  Yes, it is the SAME model.   Canada    USA
Going to lie down quietly for a bit now....
:S:(

Indeed, you deserve a large adult beverage for that one!

I saw in the video that the fries are, indeed, quite short.  However, since I never fry fries (not that I'm not crazy for them, it's all that oil that stinks up my house and leaves oil residue everywhere).  When I want them, I order them in a restaurant instead.

In summer I'll take my FryDaddy (the big one) outside on the deck and cook my fried chicken there; but even there it's still messy.

Watched the video again with DH, chief slicer and dicer, and noticed more clearly this time that the pieces going into the hopper for dicing were already cut into strips...which I can't do...which leaves me wondering...etc...etc...  DH, Ed to name him, is a terrific slicer and dicer, and maybe for the time being, we'll just leave it at that. 

No, we don't have a mandoline...fear for fingers.  We are both accident prone in our old age...me because I am naturally badly co-ordinated and now ill-handed, and Ed because he flies by the seat of his pants which could lead to chopped fingers (if I might mangle my metaphors).

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I set up my machine yesterday to check out the blade configuration, etc., although I didn't do any actual cutting with it.  But to allay the fears of someone upthread, when you have it together and put the food in the hopper, the blade pusher assembly moves back and forth across the blades automatically, so there's no hard pushing involved.  It's very easy to do.

As darienne said, though, there is all the cutting of pieces to fit the feed tube, much like the older food processers required.  For me that's not an issue.  What I saw in the results on the video were very nicely, evenly chopped and diced vegs. and that's what I want in quantity. 

I'll offer more details when I get a chance to do a bunch of cutting.

"Mandy's will always be  thirsty.

Suppose you could design one with a protective chute over the top, a bowl to catch product in and maybe a gizmo to drive the blade instead of having to move the product. :B

Merry Christmas  all!

On 12/24/2016 at 8:24 AM, Darienne said:

We are both accident prone in our old age...me because I am naturally badly co-ordinated and now ill-handed, and Ed because he flies by the seat of his pants which could lead to chopped fingers...

That's why the Good Lord created kevlar and stainess mesh gloves...

I finally had the opportunity to cut up some vegetables with my electric mandolin.

I had onion, celery and green pepper that I was using for my Red Beans and Rice recipe.

The mandolin did a very nice job of cutting even dices of all the vegs.

We still have to cut everything into portions that will fit into the feed tube.

Once in the tube, everything is automatic.  Just push the pusher and press the start and its all simple.

The clean-up is a bit of a chore; there are multiple piece that all have to be washed so I wouldn't use this unless I was cutting more than, say one onion.  All in all, I will keep the appliance and recommend it with that reservation.

Made the Red Beans in my Instant Pot using Slow Cook.

• Like 2

Thanks lindag for getting back.  I was just thinking about you and your new toy this morning.

Alas, if I have to cut the vegetables into correct portions before the final dicing...then it's not a good fit for us. 

But thanks for the report. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.