• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maple flavored confections

Bentley

I made a Maple Bourbon bon bon this weekend with a dark chocolate maple bourbon ganache and candied pecans.  It came out great, but it the maple flavor is not as pronounced as I'd like.  I ended up using way more syrup than I thought (probably ruining the water levels), but I would and still didn't get a solid maple flavor.  Is Maple just too subtle a flavor or is there some trick I don't know?

Maple is quite subtle, especially if you pair it with something with similar flavour profile, like candied pecans.

For bon bons my favourite is pairing it with something contrasting, this way its taste gets more pronounced instead than partially covered.

Years ago I made a bon bon with 2 layers, one was a milk chocolate ganache with maple syrup, the other a dark chocolate one with jalapeno. For the maple ganache I used 200 g milk chocolate and 120 g maple syrup (just 2 ingredients, no cream, invert sugar or anything else, this way you maximize the maple flavour).

Teo

• Like 1

Teo