• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

Pumpkin butterscotch sourdough with candied pecans. I baked a free-form version of this loaf last year. It turned out fine, but the Pullman pan and egg wash I used here made it so much better. It’s decadently sweet but one of my very favorite loaves to bake. 😍

IMG_5863.jpeg

IMG_5866.jpeg

IMG_5867.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

On 10/16/2023 at 3:28 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bread10162023.jpg

Dinner was 4:00 am.

Nice to see you baking again.  That is a beauty.

@PatrickT You make some of the most interesting breads. You had me at "butterscotch". 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Started a dough yesterday morning and put in the fridge until 8:30 last night.
Left on the counter until 3:00 AM and baked this morning.  Hydration was 72%.
BaguettesNovember18th20232.thumb.jpg.28d07c2234d30c6621cd10cace120cac.jpg
Baked different size baguettes for different uses. I like the skinny style baguette for slicing horizontally and Moe likes the fatter baguettes cut in slices.
BaguettesNovember18th20231.thumb.jpg.2aea590f6029541b8294a16efb853479.jpg
Sliced one this morning while still slightly warm. 
BeefDiponBaguetteNovember18th20231.thumb.jpg.bc2ea1dc4cf56670c86e3ed360727f90.jpg
Made Moe a beef dip sandwich for breakfast.
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

You make some of the most interesting breads. You had me at "butterscotch".

@Ann_T Thank you very much! If you love butterscotch, you’d really love this. You’d probably also really love Ann’s pumpkin butterscotch muffins. She makes them a couple of times every year around the holidays. This loaf is actually a riff off her recipe. Let me know if you want to try either one. Always happy to share. 😃

Tartine Country Loaf, with 16% chia seeds. Tom Cucuzza has a great baking sheet for the Tartine recipe and process here, which I followed for this bake. Forgot how straightforward and delicious this loaf is to make! Try it - you’ll love it… with or without the seeds!

IMG_5899.jpeg

IMG_5900.jpeg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

@PatrickT, I'd love that butterscotch bread recipe, please. If you're willing to share. 

Absolutely! I made mine with sourdough starter - but you could easily substitute yeast for it. I also used my wife's sugared pecans for this, but regular toasted pecans would be fine as well. Let me know if you try it!

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 5.51.49 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@PatrickT, thank you for sharing the recipe.

@JoNorvelleWalker, I've missed your bread bakes.

When you are awake and up by 3:00AM most mornings, you might has well cook and bake.
Started a batch of dough yesterday morning before work and left it in the fridge until 8:30 last night.
Ready to start shaping at 3:00 AM.
MiniBaguettesNovember20th2021.thumb.jpg.7822047df6a0ad68921a7a134c31ab50.jpg

Baked 12 mini baguettes. Perfect size for sandwiches.
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

45 minutes ago, lindag said:

Watching an older episode of The Great British Baking Show I saw them make 

British Malt Bread.

As soon as Amazon brings me the malt extract I'm going to bake up a loaf.

It looks really wonderful,  especially for the holidays.

I made this recipe quite a while ago and completely forgot about it. It’s absolutely wonderful. Thanks for reminding me! Definitely going to make it again - and you’re right… this is the perfect time of year for it! 😃

I hadn't fed my sourdough starters in 6 weeks. Pulled them out of the fridge on Wednesday and fed both
and made a levain with 55g of the discard, 55g of water and 142g of flour.
Left the levain and the two fed starters out on the counter until they had more than doubled and then in the fridge.
Pulled the levain out yesterday morning and added it to 1000g of flour, along with salt and just 1g of yeast. 66% hydration.
After the last stretch and fold the dough went into the fridge until 8:30 last night. Dough was ready to use at 3:00 AM.
SourdoughBaguettesNovember24th2023.thumb.jpg.656c94bc5298441f95a4b95a6d996274.jpg
Set aside 400g of dough for Matt to make a pizza, 200g of dough went back into the fridge to use as a Pate Fermentee
for another batch of dough in the next day or two and baked 6 baguettes with the remaining dough.
SourdoughBaguettesNovember24th20231.thumb.jpg.217f8e2a472d3edc71d5a69533f962d2.jpg
Sliced one to toast for breakfast while still warm.
SourdoughbaguettestoastedNovember24th2023.thumb.jpg.d05c67ecfdfb09e263e6fa4fa8071839.jpg
And toast is why I bake bread. 
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 3

@Matthew.Taylor love that picture of the butter melting into your rolls.   I can almost taste.

Started a sourdough batch yesterday morning before leaving for work.
Dough was started with a pâte fermentée.
Left in the fridge all day and taken out at 8:00 PM last night.
Left on the counter until 3:30 this morning.
SourdoughBaguettesNovember26th20231.thumb.jpg.afd0e4c6d2e4a0cf4a01dfeb0637b294.jpg
Baked 9 skinny baguettes.
SourdoughBaguettesNovember26th20232.thumb.jpg.b4e59da2d1d367dc411f753572653481.jpg
Matt and Moe like this size for sandwiches.
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 4

These are my usual Sunday stuffed bun offering.

20231203_122313.thumb.jpg.afccd661c340af225f37e6274bb4e1f0.jpg

The filling is ground pork flavored with the gravy for Char Siu bao. Because my hands no longer work the way they used to, I have given up on making the traditional round bao and just make them empanadas Style. They are the same great taste and texture and so far no complaints.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

@rotuts this is the recipe that I use.

Pork Bao Gravy 

1/4 C. water 

1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry 

2 tablespoons oyster sauce 

1 tablespoon hoisin sauce 

2 tablespoons soy sauce 

1 teaspoon sesame oil 

1 tablespoon sugar 

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 

I use about 10 oz of ground pork and a half a cup of finely diced celery. Saute that in a skillet until it is completely cooked. I mixed the gravy ingredients in a small bowl, separately, and then mix that into the pork to let it thicken.

I've also used this with leftover pork roast, finally diced.

I would love to add a little bit of onion but as most of you know, that can't be done in my house.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Yesterday’s bread, today’s toast, this is my usual bread but made it with the cold start method which works just about as well as a preheated oven.  The oven temperature for cold start  is set a little lower than a preheated oven, but the baking time is not that much different. This was 95% white, 5% rye at 74% hydration, it usually stays fresh for 3 days depending on the weight of the loaf.

IMG_5172.jpeg

IMG_5174.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

23 minutes ago, OlyveOyl said:

Yesterday’s bread, today’s toast, this is my usual bread but made it with the cold start method which works just about as well as a preheated oven.  The oven temperature for cold start  is set a little lower than a preheated oven, but the baking time is not that much different. This was 95% white, 5% rye at 74% hydration, it usually stays fresh for 3 days depending on the weight of the loaf.

IMG_5172.jpeg

IMG_5174.jpeg

Love the cold start method! 😍

• Like 1