• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Preserving, and How Are You Doing It? (2016–)

Anna N

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

We used to eat pickled herring on bread.  Love the stuff except now I just eat it straight up.

That's how it works in Northeastern Minnesota. I think it's a Scandanavian thing: pickled herring at every buffet and salad bar. I've never thought about trying to pickle it myself! I'd try @Baron d'Apcher's version in a heartbeat, if I were nearby! It's beautiful!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, Baron d'Apcher said:

Preserving the harbinger of the cusp of late winter and spring. Pickled Long Island Sound herring courtesy Fresh Fish Crew. 

2173390A-2D62-4A4C-9207-EC751D963370.jpeg

0AD4EB3F-9946-4384-A9B4-DD7ECA621485.jpeg

1697B6C1-C78F-4013-9FA6-8786D88DB7E3.jpeg

2D4498EB-9727-416F-85C7-15CB68C43C03.jpeg

2B055D4D-69CA-4659-8D1B-EBEA58460CDE.jpeg

What water/vinegar ratio do you use?  How much salt?  Do you salt the fish prior? 

Very cool!

28 minutes ago, TicTac said:

What water/vinegar ratio do you use?  How much salt?  Do you salt the fish prior? 

^^ This.  We need the details!

• Like 1