• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

Fair enough. Apologies if the tone of the post was overly confrontational.

Cheers.

All is forgiven. Cheers. Enjoy our adventures. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Tasty dinner prepared by Anna - pork tenderloin with a pan sauce (wine, shallots, mustard, cream), and the CSO cooked potatoes. 

More details on the potatoes please.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

More details on the potatoes please.

One large russet potato "chipped" then kept in ice cold water for a couple of hours. Drained thoroughly and dried on kitchen towels.  CSO set for steam/bake 450F.  Beef fat melted on CSO tray, dry potatoes tossed in melted fat and scrunched around with hands to coat every millimetre. Roasted approx 35 minutes with tray turned front to back after about 20 minutes.

Changes I would make next time

Toss potatoes in melted beef fat in a bowl. Line baking tray with parchment. Transfer potatoes from bowl to parchment lined tray.   Should reduce sticking and hence breakage.  

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Wayne said:

I must confess I've never been to Manitoulin although I go fishing and hiking twice a year in the upper Bruce peninsula (based out of Bruce N.P.) and once a year to the Sault St. Marie  area.

It's always been in the back of my mind to visit Manitoulin so I'll be following your adventures with interest.

Interesting - I had to figure out what Bruce National Park was - as I never associated the area with a national park - and was interested to discover that it seems to encompass Cypress Lake Provincial Park (at least that's what it was called when I used to scuba dive there as a teen) and Fathom Five Provincial park (which was where we dove in Tobermory). Wonder when it changed to national park?

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Tasty dinner prepared by Anna - pork tenderloin with a pan sauce (wine, shallots, mustard, cream), and the CSO cooked potatoes. 

So glad you were there to eat it.

• Like 2

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Interesting - I had to figure out what Bruce National Park was - as I never associated the area with a national park - and was interested to discover that it seems to encompass Cypress Lake Provincial Park (at least that's what it was called when I used to scuba dive there as a teen) and Fathom Five Provincial park (which was where we dove in Tobermory). Wonder when it changed to national park?

The park was established in 1987. I too visited the park prior to it being established mainly to hike. The most rugged and isolated portions of the Bruce Trail run from Lion's Head to Tobermory and pass through the park and is comparable to sections of the Lacloche Trail in Killarney P.P.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

Anna and I are off to Espanola in search  of a garbage can this morning. The last one I purchased seem to have made its way into someone else's possession.

The one we are going to get  should successfully fend off critters. And hopefully won't get stolen

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Soooo

how was it ?

top : Juicy ?   [ ed.: no mayo ? ]

bottom :  'squeaky '

About every 5 years or so I try to like a burger. Nothing about this one persuaded me to adjust that interval. The poutine was OK  but I am sure we have both had better. However being hungry or perhaps hangry makes many things tolerable. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I must say that "Bruschetta Bus" conjured offerings rather different from those listed beneath the name.

What are Pogos?

Corndogs

• Like 5

Please note hers and hers santokus. Hers Is purple and mine is blue. (And my ceramic knife!) We are both suckers for knives from cheap to "keep on dreamin".

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Our potential herb garden. Some will need lots of TLC. Choices are limited so you do the best you can with what you can get. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

nice

that's the tubular item below the CkLegs ?

[ed.:  CkLegs for the CSB ?  on parchment ?]'

an indeed :

Clams.jpg

tasty ice cold, with three lifetimes of sodium in each Gulp !

19 minutes ago, rotuts said:

nice

that's the tubular item below the CkLegs ?

[ed.:  CkLegs for the CSB ?  on parchment ?]'

an indeed :

Clams.jpg

tasty ice cold, with three lifetimes of sodium in each Gulp !

Not  f you dilute it with enough vodka which is what I intend to do!

The tubular thing is liverwurst. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Believe me, cretins can be found at the grocery store too but probably not on the same aisle as the cretons.

I will have to look for some of that cuttlefish ink out here at Superstore - if you can find it in Sudbury, surely we should have it on the coast.

26 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Oh I love Clamato juice.  

The can that says Hot Chicken Sandwich is gravy?

And maybe there are popsicles happening soon?

Yes.  It is hot chicken sandwich gravy  and you are solely responsible for its purchase. Your damn photos of stuff with gravy on them did the trick.   And yes perhaps popsicles or perhaps paletas. Again somebody on this forum needs to take the blame and I think it might be @blue_dolphin.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog