• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Papain and Corned Beef

rotuts

St.P's day is right around the corner, which means very low priced corned beef, at least in my area  ( BOS )

last year was the first time the CB's had papain added in some way, injected ( ? ) in the 'gel ' in the pack, etc

I did not notice this, and kept the CB's in the refrigerator for several weeks until I could get around to SV them im bulk, a process that provides a lot

of CB for sandwiches throughout the summer.  I usually do SV  142.5  ~ 24 hours.  Ive been doing this for years, and sometimes smoking the CB's after cooking, then

re-baging them and freezing.  last year it was a disaster, as the CB's turned out very mushy.

this year all the Cb's on sale in my area have papain added in some sort of fashion.  1.69 for Point, 1.98 for flat.  I did a flat and a point in the IntantPot, and it was decent

but shrunk quite a bit.  as one would expect of a meat at < 212 degrees.

the question is :   did the extra time in my refrigerator add to the enzymes effect ?  ( well before  'use' date )  if the papain tenderizes the CB,

would it be possible to still get a nice CB via SV  but with less time in the bath, as the enzyme would add to tenderness but the SV time would be

decreased in some fashion ?

any knowledge on this process would be most helpful.

the entry point for CB's w/o papain is 4.99 a lb in my area.  at that price, Id rather concentrate or skinless CkBr's  ( now 1.68 / lbs when on sale which used to be

1.77  [ ed.:  over 'planting of chicken's  p bird flu ?  eggs again now are 1.48 at MarketBasket ]  Fz turkey breasts  and whole pork loins  ( 1.69 for whole loins at

BJ's  a warehouse club more or less like Costco )

and those items do not have commercial MegaSalt added via ConAgra or AgraCon     an eventual killer in my view.

still a nice CB sandwich is pretty good from time to time.

thanks

good points  brisket in my area is never inexpensive.  it's not so much that im cheap 

after all Ill have 2 steam ovens come dec.  (  smiley-money-mouth.gif.095dba61cf9d353ac, and smiley-tongue-out.gif.5524ce811e4ba59fe4 )

and Some have None.   Id say more  " lazy "  " slothful "  in that general direction.

but the papain problem is interesting , in its own way.

i might get 3 - 4 tranches  and do a 'SV, check . SV some more  next week.

• Like 1

Hard to pass up those prepared corned beefs when they go on sale this time of year.   I plan to stock up again when they go on mark down after St. Paddy's Day

A couple of years ago I brined my own brisket to make  pastrami. Used Rhulman's corned beef recipe.  I had a bunch of folks over and feeling like I wanted more meat to serve bought a prepared one from the store.  In the end they tasted very much the same.  So much so that I doubt I'll do it again.  I have one desalinating at the moment which will hit the smoker tomorrow but it was from last year.  I'll pull the packaging to see if papain is in the ingredient list

Wow

they don't go on mark down here.

I had some 'left-over' point and flat today

it was fine.  I chopped up some with some eggs for breakfast

also fine.

So Ill go with 6 - 8 flats tomorrow and do them in the IP

when chilled Ill add the garlic / mustard seed / pepper   ground in the blade coffee grinder   

a light dusting   and re-bag and freeze

maybe a dip in some diluted Liquid smoke

nothing wrong with them the next day.

Project Done.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Perhaps SV is not the way to go with papain treated beef.

http://www.cmbe.engr.uga.edu/engr4510/assign/Handouts/Ch%203%20A3%20papain%20specs%20CBS.pdf   

says that...

The optimal PAPAIN-CLARASE activity temperature is 55-65°C but the enzyme is as well
active at room temperature (+/-20°C). The enzyme shows high activity above 65°C to
85°C but inactivation begins at such temperatures

Cooking at SV temps is right in the enzyme's sweet spot...esp for 2 days.
  • Like 2

going w IP this year

the flat was fine the next day

the point at the IP temps got a bit 'twisted'

after all, I can afford the $ 0.33 premium

Ill just add the ground up flavorings after the IP

the room smelled great, none that I could detect made it into the Flat.

• Like 1

makes you wonder, doesn't .

if I had more energy  Id get 6 - 8 flats w papain, portion them into similar sizes, get the BigBoy SV rig out and do them

at 142.5   ( 140 seemed not tender enough, and 150 to high ) and check them at 4 hrs, 6 hrs, etc  until  'tender'

SV properly done is the only way to do CB.  maybe the Papain would just shorten the SV time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

makes you wonder, doesn't .

if I had more energy  Id get 6 - 8 flats w papain, portion them into similar sizes, get the BigBoy SV rig out and do them

at 142.5   ( 140 seemed not tender enough, and 150 to high ) and check them at 4 hrs, 6 hrs, etc  until  'tender'

SV properly done is the only way to do CB.  maybe the Papain would just shorten the SV time.

Maybe I just haven't got the knack of SV CB.  I usually use a corned beef to make pastrami,(have one going right now), and the smoker plus a steam  finishing in the oven has yielded my best results in texture and of course flavor

• Like 1

Ok, so I have a flat cut CB and after reading this I just took it out to see....yep....injected with the papain stuff.

So, not good to SV?

I also have a venison roast that we corned....need to figure out time and temp for that.

Soooo

@Shelby   

not as such

the IP version was very nice at 70 min   natural release   [ Ed : please remember to turn off the Warm when its done  the NR will take for ever. ]

it contracts  but if you have only a few  you canb add the cabbage, pot's and carrots to the water  and have a very nice St.P's  dinner

shame-full that St.P did not condemn  papain.

• Like 1

still working  on the above ;

ADOLF

https://www.google.com/search?q=adolph%27s+meat+tenderizer&biw=1113&bih=1066&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjyq-j2y8DLAhXFaz4KHezsBd0QsAQISw&dpr=1.2

there is also Itch X

tis for Mosquito bites :

http://bfascher.com/products/itch-x-gel/

make sure you get the original

apply immediately