• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to stack and cook a donair on a vertical spit

radical gardens

hey ladys and gents this is my first post, i apologize if this is covered somewhere I did a brief search and did not find it so here goes.recently me and my wife acquired a kronos vertical rotisserie from a restaurant auction and are trying to make donairs we have done shawarma and it did really well but after many hours of searching we cant seem to find the method for stacking and cooking the donair cone. the last one we did we triple ground/ food processed the meat and then kneaded and threw it onto the counter as we read in some tips online, then refrigerated it over night for service in the morning however when we cooked it the meat started to slump down  and jam up the machine or it would cook part of it and then that cooked skin would basicly slide down making things very difficult. i would appreciate any help or suggestions in this secret to the donair
the meat we use is local fresh pasture raised lean ground beef 

The couple of times that I've had a Donair in Halifax they weren't cooked as a cone if I remember correctly. Since they are made from ground meat I think it would be very difficult to get them to hold their shape while cooking on a vertical rotisserie.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

we are trying to make a Halifax style donair so we are using only ground beef I have not tried making individual patties I made a huge tube basically and then wrapped cling wrap around it to kinda compress and hold it in place. This time I have it sitting in my walk-in or rather standing on end with a rope holding it vertical 

8 hours ago, MSRadell said:

The couple of times that I've had a Donair in Halifax they weren't cooked as a cone if I remember correctly. Since they are made from ground meat I think it would be very difficult to get them to hold their shape while cooking on a vertical rotisserie.

How where the ones that you had cooked in a oven and then cooled and transfered onto the rotisserie?

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I doubt that they use transglutaminase but that would work, I bet

Exactly what I was thinking: you need something to add structure, either by strengthening the myosin of bypassing it entirely. 

@radical gardens -- Can you post your recipe? Also, can you tell us anymore about the roaster you've got? It looks like an awesome piece of kit.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

5 hours ago, radical gardens said:

we are trying to make a Halifax style donair so we are using only ground beef I have not tried making individual patties I made a huge tube basically and then wrapped cling wrap around it to kinda compress and hold it in place. This time I have it sitting in my walk-in or rather standing on end with a rope holding it vertical 

How where the ones that you had cooked in a oven and then cooled and transfered onto the rotisserie?

Actually, from what I can recall, the ones I had were never put on a spit. They were baked in a pan and then after they cooled they were sliced and cooked on a flat top before serving. Not sure if it's the true way of doing them or not but they were certainly delicious!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.