• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organizing Recipes from Several Sources

DW uses the 3-ring binder and plastic sleeve approach.

I use the terrabyte hardrive and sub-directory approach.

- typed into .txt files

- screen captured to .jpg files

-downloaded to .pdf files

nada-nothing-of-consequence.

many of the recipes I have converted to "editable" files because . . . .

as illuminated above,  , , one needs the ability to add "notes" to the basic recipe.

Like AlaMoi I use the electronic method, scanning or photographing pieces of paper and downloading or pasting internet pages. These go into a note-taking app called Evernote where complex searches are possible.

I use Drive exclusively. I used to copy and paste them into drive and then save them as a PDF. Since I've learned to add links to my documents, I have a new system.

I have four separate documents set up exclusively for my recipes. The first one is for meals divided into categories according to protein, ethnic origin or ease of preparation. The second one is for all the other recipes that I use constantly breads, cakes, condiments, Etc. The third one is for recipes that I want to try, but have not. If I try them and like them they are transferred to one of the first two documents. If I don't, they get deleted. The fourth document is for how to information, my favorite websites or food blogs and any other miscellaneous information that I want to bookmark. Everything on these lists has a link either to the PDF document in Drive or to a web page. All four of these documents reside on my homepage on my telephone. With two clicks I can find any recipe in my repertoire. It also has the advantage that when I am sitting there staring at a piece of chicken and don't know what to do with it, I can click on one of these documents and get an idea and the recipe instantly.

It may not be the perfect system but it saves me a lot of time and it works for me.

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

@heidih yes, plastic sleeves allow the original clipping or internet printout plus personal notes and additional drop-in recipes.     I prefer the thinner 1" binders which come in colors which can designate recipe's course or classification.

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

If your ultimate goal is a notebook, then the 3-ring binder is going to be your most economical choice as they come in all thicknesses and cover colors with many page options from just punching holes in your printouts to using various protector sheets and dividers.  

The world of scrapbooking offers all sorts of fancier options but both the books and pages are going to be more expensive and some are rather cumbersome to add pages.

Another way to organize them is in file folders, stored in hanging file boxes (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). They come in different sizes, colors, and patterns with and without lids.  That doesn't suit your need for a notebook but it could be a good way to start organizing your collection before placing things into the notebook(s).

yeahhh i think upon further thought and your comments, the 3 ring binder is my best bet. thx for the feedback!

• Like 3

@hotsaucerman I apologize, reading back through your original post I have to agree that a three-ring binder system would be best for you. The plastic sleeves are good or a laminating machine might work if you're into that kind of thing. But to start with, a big binder with Section dividers or as someone suggested, small individual binders for each category.

When I got my first computer in 2002, I copied, printed and put all of my recipes into a three ring binder but I made the mistake of copying off everything that looked good to me on the internet and putting it in the same binder. I soon overwhelmed the whole thing.

So my advice is, consider each recipe carefully before you include it, or keep a separate binder just for your treasured recipes.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

....consider each recipe carefully before you include it, or keep a separate binder just for your treasured recipes.

I keep (probably several dozen) untried printouts in the front of my working binder before granting it plastic sleeve status.    Even so, you will need to periodically review and vet your collection, as one needs do with any collection.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.