• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Fruit

Fat Guy

When I was a child, I loved cherries best. I could scoff them at an alarming rate, scattering pits in the process

Lately, I've found myself longing for raspberries like I used to eat in my granddad's garden: enormous, juicily fragile, and warmed by the sun

In Cambodia, I fell in love with the much-maligned rambutan. We bought a whole bunch in the market in Kampot to take up to Bokor, and ate them sitting on the edge of a fast-running river with our feet plunged into the water. Spiky, sour and sweet.

You know, I just now noticed that your sig looks like two strange beings holding hands. Sort of a squatty pac-man like being on the left, and a sort of pin-headed being on the right. Holding hands, forming a sweet chain.

Hey, you're right! Cuuute... molecules going steady. :wub:

Mangos and mangosteens.

I like mangos too!

I haven't had mangosteens since I moved back to the States. Does anyone ever see them in the markets here?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Mangos and mangosteens.

I like mangos too!

I haven't had mangosteens since I moved back to the States. Does anyone ever see them in the markets here?

I usually get them in Chinatown, and the high-end produce stores also carry them. Occasionally I also see them in some small fruit shops.

Edited by Degustation (log)

Mangos and mangosteens.

I like mangos too!

I usually get them in Chinatown, and the high-end produce stores also carry them. Occasionally I also see them in some small fruit shops.

Thanks. That is some really helpful info. I had almost given up, but now I'll redouble my efforts!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Mangos and mangosteens.

I like mangos too!

Thanks. That is some really helpful info. I had almost given up, but now I'll redouble my efforts!

I've seen them at Whole Foods here in Atlanta, too.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Mangos and mangosteens.

I like mangos too!

I've seen them at Whole Foods here in Atlanta, too.

Okay! Now I'm really optimistic, since Whole Foods is an Austin-based company that began right here. I'll set out at once.

By the by, have any of you that buy and eat mangosteens here in the States eaten them in Asia? How do they compare?

(Before I get my hopes up too high, I mean.)

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Jaymes, I think it's worth a try, but I should warn you that the Whole Foods that I shop at is not the same as the ones I used to go to in Houston. The Texas versions are good-sized (there are a couple elsewhere in Atlanta, but the one that I frequent is quite a bit bigger -- I'd say 400,000 square feet or more, and heavily into Asian and South/Central American offerings (the British section is the size of our powder room, and the German section is even smaller).

WF bought a local "farmer's market," and in fact it is still known better by the old name (Harry's) than the new one. The story is that WF is using it to test the larger format for possible implementation elsewhere.

Anyway, good luck. If you strike out, PM me and I'll see if I can ship you some.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.