• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First time using meat grinder

pistolabella

So I got a grinder attachment for my Kitchen-Aid  and plan to grind short ribs for burgers. This is my first time using it, or any grinder, and I am looking for tips! I found a Michael Ruhlman article with some good tips. He says to put through the grinder twice, and to season the meat while it's whole, before putting it through. Does anyone have additional tidbits that might help, or particularly does anyone have experience with using this Kitchen-Aid attachment?

Edited by pistolabella (log)

Try to cut off as much of the connective tissue as possible before running it through the grinder other wise the whole thing can cease up when said tissue gets wrapped around the blades.  Oh, and watch out for meat juice that can squirt out, i.e. wear an apron.   :cool: If you are making patties or meat balls the seasoning tip is really important.  I would season again on the second grind if you are doing that.

• Like 1

never used the kitchen aid, but the most important thing is to cut the meat so that it easily fits down the throat of the grinder, and to feed only as fast as the machine can handle, or slower.  let one bit be ground before dropping the next.  long strips are best as they wrap around the worm and self-feed at the correct pace. 

if you're feeding at the proper speed, you should never have to use the tamper.  the slower you feed, the faster you can grind.

• Like 2

That is what we use for grinding meat and it works very well. My only gripe was that even the large grinding plate didn't have big enough holes for my liking for the first grind or for me to be used for chili etc. I was able to find one with even larger holes online that works just perfectly. You'll also find that it's beneficial to take your sharpening stone to the Rotary knife on the face occasionally so that it cuts smoother. The suggestion about chilling the parts and the meat prior to grinding is definitely a good idea.

Edited by MSRadell (log)
  • Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I have the kitchenAid attachment.  I have not used it in years but I recently found the blades for it.  My advice would be to keep it very cold.

But I must say, horrible waste of short ribs to grind them up.  Seventy two hours sous vide is the way to go.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've done short ribs ground through a KA and they were some of the best burgers I've ever had.   But I did some math and figured the burger meat was about $25/lb.  Since then a buddy recommended a mix of short rib and brisket  to get a tasty burger without breaking the bank.  Have not tried this yet but it's on the agenda.

I agree with most above.  Clean meat well of sinew and silverskin.  Cold meat and cold grinder parts.  Season twice.  But I cut meat into chunks rather than strips.  If gristle or silverskin gets pulled through it won't go on forever.  Use the throat size of grinder as a guide so that chunks don't get backed up.

KA makes the grinder in two configuratations, a plastic version and an older metal one.  I've used both but prefer the metal one.  Either way you should have fun with it.

I've done short ribs ground through a KA and they were some of the best burgers I've ever had.   But I did some math and figured the burger meat was about $25/lb.

I did some math and figured you're overpaying for short ribs. But +1 on your technique suggestions. I find that flank or skirt steak are great mixed with short rib for a burger blend. Kenji over at Serious Eats likes oxtail too, but that can be sort of a pain to cut and clean before grinding.