• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oven Burner BTU Rating

Porthos

If I were able to determine the BTU rating (which is actually BTUs per hour) then I could record each on cycle and off cycle of the oven (set to 425 F, my temperature of intetrst) for an hour, calculate the percentage of on time and multiply that times the BTU rating of the burner then I would be able to relate that to my cost per therm from the gas company and that would give me the cost of using this oven at this temperature. The only other thing I might want to do for real total cost is plug the range into the Kill-A-Watt to account for the cost of electricity.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Don't forget some of the electricity for the stove is going to be used whether or not you are using the oven! Things like the clock etc. keep running whether you're using it or not.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The second half of this search for comparative energy costs will not be happening. I've run into a road block. I can't reach the power cord for my range to plug it into the Kill-A-Watt meter. Since I would be doing this with the convection fan on, the same as when I measured the toaster oven, and I have no idea how much power the fan draws so I can't even begin to dry-lab that part of the energy consumption, I can't get an accurate total measurement. Being 61 and partially disabled isn't all champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

I am happy, however, that I found that the cost of using the toaster oven to roast veggies is quite a bit less than I expected. Since roast veggies are not the norm for my dinners (I steam most of the veggies I serve) I am going to walk away happy with the knowledge I did gain.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

The second half of this search for comparative energy costs will not be happening. I've run into a road block. I can't reach the power cord for my range to plug it into the Kill-A-Watt meter. Since I would be doing this with the convection fan on, the same as when I measured the toaster oven, and I have no idea how much power the fan draws so I can't even begin to dry-lab that part of the energy consumption, I can't get an accurate total measurement. Being 61 and partially disabled isn't all champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

I am happy, however, that I found that the cost of using the toaster oven to roast veggies is quite a bit less than I expected. Since roast veggies are not the norm for my dinners (I steam most of the veggies I serve) I am going to walk away happy with the knowledge I did gain.

PS: I am a guy.

The depth of my disappointment can not be measured. :cool:

If science teachs us anything it teachs us to accecp our failures as well as our successes with quiet dignity and grace.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;