• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maslin pans

ElainaA

I really REALLY want one of these. Looking on line, though, the prices are all over the place - ranging from about $45 to over $200. In the descriptions I really don't see many differences. Does anyone have experience with any particular brand? Any recommendations?

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Is the deep English-style "bucket" shape essential to you, or is a shallower confiture pan acceptable?

I think everyone would benefit from a thick pan bottom.  I have a $$$ thick heavy vintage copper confiture pan from Belgium, and I wish it was even thicker, because unless your hob is very even, thin pans are prone to scorch when you're getting close to your desired sugar concentration.

Edited by boilsover (log)

Most of the time, more money means thicker gauge metal or a better type of tri-ply or somesuch. The better pans should mention something along these lines, and you can compare and see if you're just paying for a name, or if it's quality. If you have a Home Goods near you, I'd visit every so often to see what they have. I've gotten some really great pans there at huge discounts.

Boilsover - While I would use this for candy, my primary use would be preserving so I need the deep, bucket shape.

Kerry - The Lee Valley pan is one I am looking at. It has been recommended by some people on another forum (focused mostly on various forms of preserving). Target has one the looks the same for significantly less money.(Significant to me, anyway.)  Of course neither lists the weight that I can find. I think I will go with Lee Valley based on recommendations.

Elaina

Boilsover - Thanks for the link. Their prices are really good but sadly shipping to the US would cost quite a bit more than the cost of the pan! I really like the recipe section though.

Elaina