• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making toffee as gifts

Jennifer Hill

I have recently started making toffee and I LOVE it! However, I have noticed that the chocolate stays soft at room temp, and I wanted to package it to use as gifts at the holidays. Can anyone suggest how I can make the chocolate solidify so I don't have this problem? I have been just using Nestle chocolate chips that I put on top of the hot toffee after pouring on a sheet pan. I let it sit for a couple of minutes and then spread it out with my offset spatula, and then I chill in the fridge for a couple of hours before breaking up. 

Thank you! So after I temper the chocolate, and chill the toffee and break it up to package it, it should be okay at room temp and the chocolate won't start to melt and create a huge mess? How long do you think the toffee will keep?

Another thing to do some research about on eG is getting the tempered chocolate to remain stuck to the toffee.  It is often a problem and I know we've discussed it before.  

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Another thing to do some research about on eG is getting the tempered chocolate to remain stuck to the toffee. It is often a problem and I know we've discussed it before.

Here's a link to one such discussion: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/79068-english-toffee/

Edit: here is an excellent lesson, with pictures, on making toffee that may be useful; it includes a strategy for keeping the layers together. http://forums.egullet.org/topic/92495-confectionery-101/?p=1292069 This is only one lesson out of a fine eGCI course titled "Confectionery 101".

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thank you! So after I temper the chocolate, and chill the toffee and break it up to package it, it should be okay at room temp and the chocolate won't start to melt and create a huge mess? How long do you think the toffee will keep?

Depends on what you call room temperature. Chocolate should be stored below 80°F, if it gets much warmer (temperatures vary by type) it will lose the temper and melt.

Thank you for the help! I'm not sure what constitutes "room temp" for most people, as I am wanting to give this as gifts. I know I try to keep my house under 80°F at all times, so I would assume most other people would too? 

Not here in Phoenix, at least not if you're in an income bracket where you work for a living. AC burns through a lot of money, and when we get 110°- 120°+ weather for a couple of months a year, many of us let the house get pretty warm, especially when we aren't at home (at work, out shopping, etc.)

• Like 1

Thank you for the help! I'm not sure what constitutes "room temp" for most people, as I am wanting to give this as gifts. I know I try to keep my house under 80°F at all times, so I would assume most other people would too? 

Unless you're shipping to warm climates or live south of 40 degrees N, you're probably OK, especially if you have an unheated pantry or spare room.  Assuming these are winter holiday gifts, that is. 

I keep all my chocolate in my extra bedroom and never turn the heat on.  It did get a bit warm when we had weather in the 90's this summer, but the chocolate has not been noticeably affected.  In the winter that room is quite a bit colder than the heated living areas.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)