• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tonkatsu Sauce Recipes or Commercial Sauces

Paul Bacino

I went to a past Tonkatsu thread. looking for a recipe for a sauce.  Yes I found some,  but I didn't want to sort thru 150 posts. 

I know Dave the Chef--posted one in Gulletrecipe  and I had found a few in the above mentioned thread ( mostly Ketcup based   on the first page  )

Could we compolate some ideas here?

or is there a commercial bottling that people like or use?

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

When I lived in Japan I was all about the bulldog brand tonkatsu sauce. I don't know that you really gain much from making this from scratch esp if you are using ketchup as a base but YMMV and all that. That being said IIRC there was a recipe in Art Culinaire recently for tonkatsu (as part of something fancy) I can see if I can find it if you are interested. 

Bulldog Tonkatsu sauce?  

If making your own sauce I believe there will be a taste difference between using, say, Lea & Perrin Worcestershire sauce (i.e. a Western cuisine type) and a Japanese (e.g. Bulldog) Worcestershire sauce.  (By themselves, Bulldog sauce has a "fruitier" and "rounder" taste to me, vs Lea & Perrin.)

How about using okonomi sauce (what would be used for okonomiyaki) as an alternative?

• Like 1

I use one very similar to the Serious Eats one that boudin noir posted.  Marlene gave it to me and I use it a lot.  It is very, very good.  It's quick and easy and you don't need any unusual ingredients.  I can't tell the difference between that and the one at our favorite Japanese place.