• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 2)

jwjon1

I know this is a tired whine but I live in the pottstown area should I really have to drive 1/2 hour to even be able to shop the chairman's selections.

The Ludwig's Corner shop carries some of the Chairman's Selections, albeit, not too many. An alternative is to shop online and have your selections shipped to your closest store. There are some shipping charges but they generally are not excessive (occasionally free). I have shipped to the Suburbia Shopping Center store several times and have been happy with the service. I never use the Pottstown store since parking is such a mess.

Now that I think of it, the new Limerick store usually has a pretty good stock of C.S. wines.

[Edited for fat fingers and grammar. Added the Limerick reference.]

Edited by doviakw (log)

Maggie and I visited the Lancaster store yesterday to replenish the supply. We took most of what we had with us to our vacation at the beach last week. The Kaiken Malbec Ultra was in good stock and I got a bunch of it. This is a great value I believe. There will be beef stew here today post Eagles and a bottle of that malbec to be opened.

Maggie selected the Whitehall Lane cab, about which much as been written above. This may even be a better choice with the beef stew. Also the Grant Burge Barossa Shiraz and the Cygnet Oakville Merlot

And keeping up with my value wine shopping policy, read: cheap, I got a bottle of Astica Torrontes. This is an Argentinian white variety of which I have no knowledge. But it was 6 bucks. Cheap does not equate to good, this may be a total waste of 6 dollars. But I'll see, it may be a good value. Not expecting it to be a revelation.

On an off topic spirits note. I ALWAYS walk down the whiskey aisle just to check. I was happy to see for the first time Sazerac Rye. I have taken to rye whiskey cocktails these days. I still love borboun, but I think that rye makes better cocktails. However, that topic is for another thread

Speaking of Whisky, there are 2 great deals right now on Scotch...Bowmore Legend (Islay) and Auchentoshan (Lowland). They're both single malts, the Bowmore is peaty and the Auchentoshan is triple distilled and smooth like an Irish whiskey. They're normally $22/ea but right now they have coupons w/them that get you a $5 instant rebate. I picked up several of them so I would have extras for the Holidays to give as gifts.

My wife & I tried the Whitehall Lane Cab Friday night with a Rib-eye and although we both liked it very much, we agreed that at that price it wasn't worth stocking up on...especially when you comapre it to the Kaiken Ultra and Grant Burge that are on sale now.

Dennis, Mike, et al:

I have edited the name of this topic to include Spirits in the discussion. Any great bargains at the PLCB are worth talking about here! Dennis, my thanks for the heads up on the Auchentoshan. Sounds like a great holiday gift!

Carry on...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

From one of those other boards:

"This evening I was provided this description by an employee of Whitehall Lane:

"The Chairman's Cabernet and Merlot were specially blended by and for

Chairman Jonathon Newman of Pennsylvania. These 2005 vintage wines are from a separate wine lot and not exactly representative of our branded Whitehall Lane black label wines: Napa Valley Merlot, Napa Valley Cabernet and Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon.

The Chairman's Merlot and Cabernet are very young 2005 wines. They

experienced an abbreviated barrel-aging regime of only about 10 months.

This youthful wine is a delightful blend in its own right and stands alone

as a wine well made by the cellar team and with the influence of The

Chairman."

RT"

and then this:

" Re: Pa Chairman's selections: now with specialty labels!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Erfer

The Federal Trade Commission has very strict rules on how retailers can advertise "savings." A product must have been sold for a specific price before it can be "reduced" or offered at a "reduced" price.

I think the "Chairman" should be required to come up with someone who sold his personally crafted wine for the higher price.

I think the state AG might be interested in how PA consuers are being treated here.

I went by the store today. Here are posters on how they advertise Chairman's selections. There is little difference in the poster for the WL versus the Burgess (which is not a cuvee Newman). The poster does not indicate that the wine is a cuvee treated differently than normal. The WL says "suggested retail price..."

When you use the "quoted at...." language, it implies it is a wine available in some standard fashion that has a market value, which logically can't be the case if it is a cuvee treated differently and specially selected only for Penna. The simple fact than an '05 said to be $45 is on the shelves already from a major winery would indicate that there is likely different treatment in how this wine is raised.

I think the language "quoted at..." has this inference--that the wine has a market value established outside of Penna--- naturally. I see little difference in the use of "suggested retail price..." Certainly, without explanation, it looks like a synonym. Especially when followed by the "NOW $...." which implies it once had that $45 price somewhere.

On the whole, the advertising for the "cuvee Newman" looks pretty much just like all the other "standard" wines advertised as specials, and it does not make it at all clear what has been done here. It certainly fooled me.

In reading the back label--something a lot of people won't do, at least not until after purchase---it does say Newman selected the lots for the wine, but in the context of the ads, this creates ambiguity. It still doesn't make it clear that this is something that this has no other market because of that "suggested retail price ...." language.

You know, giving Newman credit, I doubt he intended for this to be deceptive. But I think that it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Mark Squires : 10-16-2006 at 03:44 PM. "

Verrry interesting...

Best,

Mike

Here's a Heads-up to everyone who enjoys Chianti. A new shipment from Renzo Masi, Chianti Reserva 2003, is starting to show up at the local stores, as usual it's primarily out west but there are a few stores in Philly as well as the Burbs that already have some on the shelves. It's a Reserva and the price is only $9.49 so it will not last long. I've been buying this religiously for the last 10 years and have never been disappointed. Here's the review from Wine Spectator...

Renzo Masi

Chianti Riserva 2003

Plenty of good simple fruit, with blackberry and light toasty oak character. Round and fruity. Drink now. 9,000 cases made. –JS

Score: 86 | Price: $15

Region: Tuscany

Issue: Oct 31, 2006

Get it by the case because it won't last long and it will be at least another year before it's available again (except by SLO).

From one of those other boards:

"You know, giving Newman credit, I doubt he intended for this to be deceptive. But I think that it is.  "

Verrry interesting...

Best,

Mike

Moderately interesting. Mr. Squires is in most ways a really nice person. But he, and his board in general, have what strikes me as an unreasoning hatred of the PLCB, in all things, and without shade or qualification.

Giving him credit, one might assume he intended this as fair criticsm - which it is, as it happens. I just doubt it was intended that way, given the history.

• 2 weeks later...

I frequently look at the Mark Squires bulletin board which has a tremendous amount of highly credible information about wine. There are quite a few Pennsylvanians, besides Mark, who participate and many of them, including me, buy and enjoy the Chairman's Selections. They also have a lifetime of built up frustration with a beauracratic state owned system that severely limits the wines available to the consumer. Every store is stocked from the same inventory. How would we like it if every shoe store was supplied from the same inventory, or every department store? Its pretty limiting on the selection. What benefit is there to having a state owned liquor store system other than protecting the jobs of the current employees?

Squires and others have given Newman many kudos for improving a poor system but the system is still inadequate in a world where we have numerous choices for every other retail product.

The Whitehall Lane cab advertising looks pretty deceptive to me. If Chairman Newman selected the barrels to be blended, how can the wine be the same as WL's regular bottling and where was this bottling offered at $45? Misleading promotion aside, the real test is the taste and nose. I have not bought a bottle but the consumer reviews have generally been unispiring so I'm going to pass. I'm looking forward to the Flora Springs wines coming soon!

I frequently look at the Mark Squires bulletin board which has a tremendous amount of highly credible information about wine.  There are quite a few Pennsylvanians, besides Mark, who participate and many of them, including me, buy and enjoy the Chairman's Selections.  They also have a lifetime of built up frustration with a beauracratic state owned system that severely limits the wines available to the consumer.  Every store  is stocked from the same inventory.  How would we like it if every shoe store was supplied from the same inventory, or every department store?  Its pretty limiting on the selection.  What benefit is there to having a state owned liquor store system other than protecting the jobs of the current employees? 

Squires and others have given Newman many kudos for improving a poor system but the system is still inadequate in a world where we have numerous choices for every other retail product.

The Whitehall Lane cab advertising looks pretty deceptive to me.  If Chairman Newman selected the barrels to be blended, how can the wine be the same as WL's regular bottling and where was this bottling offered at $45?  Misleading promotion aside, the real test is the taste and nose.  I have not bought a bottle but the consumer reviews have generally been unispiring so I'm going to pass.  I'm looking forward to the Flora Springs wines coming soon!

I have no quarrel with anyone, least of all Mr Squires. But I also have read the Pennsylvania section of his board, and if that is what strikes you as informed discussion, well, our definitions differ. True enough, they know some about wine. But their understanding of the realities of Pennsylvania politics, of legal matters generally, and of the PLCB are... limited, let's say. Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I did not appreciate having myself quoted out of context in the WH Cab thread.

As to the substance of the particular issue at hand, I entirely agree the marketing of the Whitehall is unfortunate and unpleasant, and arguably illegal - as is obvious from a fuller quote of my post. For that matter, so is much of the advertising I find at other, non-PLCB retail outlets, and through much of the wine world. None of whom come in for anything like the same scrutiny.

And finally, regarding the strengths and weaknesses of the PLCB: it affects my life mostly positively, in that I am in a position to circumvent the negatives by means easily available to any Philadelphian. As for people in the Commonwealth hinterlands... well, they would be better served to skip the rants and instead try to convince their neighbors - who, in much of the State, feel the PLCB's mission is to prevent the sale of alcohol.

For those looking for a good, bold Cab, try the 2001 Arrowood Grand Archer Carbernet Sauvignon from Samona, currently in (premium?) stores.

We recently tried it at an eG dinner at Majolica and its tannins seemed to overpower the dishes at first, but once it began to breath, it was quite pleasant.

The Grand Archer is one of the better "second labels" from a very reputable winery, and the wines are often made from the very same grapes as the Arrowood Reserve level wines at a fraction of the cost. The Grand Archer chardonnay has always been reliable for me in the past, as well.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

For those looking for a good, bold Cab, try the 2001 Arrowood Grand Archer Carbernet Sauvignon from Samona, currently in (premium?) stores.

We recently tried it at an eG dinner at Majolica and its tannins seemed to overpower the dishes at first, but once it began to breath, it was quite pleasant.

I didn't notice any at all just now doing a statewide search on LCB site

Edited to say that I just saw it on the upcoming Chairman Selection

Edited by Jeff L (log)

I purcahsed a bottle of the Grand Archer about 2 weeka ago at the Jenkintown store.

Right now, I'm looking forward to the Raymond Estates Cab coming out in November. It was a CS back about 3 years ago and did not disappoint. In fact, I was in NAPA awhile after it was on sale here in or stores for about $12.99 and it was selling for $23.00 at their vineyard.

I hope some of you were able to pick up a few bottles of the Renzo Masi (Chianti Reserva) while it was in stock...I checked again this weekend and it is gone! We won't see it again for another year unless we're willing to pay the extra $1.50 per bottle for the SLO purchase.

Here's a head scratcher.

PAWS has the '04 Rosenblum Heritage Clones San Francisco Bay Petite Syrah (Code: 016050) for $27.99. :shock: Yet the list price is only $20.00; and, I've found it in NJ for as little as $15.00. :biggrin:

It's a puzzlement. :huh:

BTW, I thought it was a blueberry/vanilla milkshake, very creamy mouthfeel and while the tannins are there giving it cellaring potential, the fruit makes it drinkable now!

Edited by Misha (log)

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei

Not a PLCB bargain, per se, but I brought home a bottle of Gazela Vinho Verde NV. I wish that I had done this at the start of Summer rather that at the downslope to Winter. What a refreshing drink! Perfectly clear with a (very) light green tinge, citrus fruity and lightly floral with an unexpected touch of cleansing effervesence. No complexity but it would accompany raw or lightly seasoned shellfish as well as other light fare wonderfully. A bonus: At 9% alcohol, we can drink more of it!

The bargain part: $5.99 on sale from $7.99 at the PLCB stores. I quick Web search shows it at $4.99 elsewhere.

it's $3.99 at total wine in cherry hill; i drank most of a case of it this summer.

wait maybe it wasn't that one.  capaneus, was that the one i bought for you?

Fuzelo. Very nice wine. A bit more acidity than the Gazela, which I've also enjoyed in the past, but a wonderful quaffer as well. And of course, with case discount, a hard bargain to beat.

Behold! The latest and greatest to come...

Upcoming Chairman's Selections

89 Points in Wine & Spirits Magazine, October 1, 2006

"N" Malbec Alto Valle de Uco, Mendoza, Argentina 2003 Quoted at $30.00... Now $17.99... Save $12.01

ETA late November Code 29036

Arrowood Chardonnay Sonoma California 2003

89 Points by Robert Paker in The Wine Advocate, February 2005

Quoted at $29.00... Now $17.99... Save $11.01

ETA early December Code 16507

Arrowood Grand Archer Cabernet Sauvignon 2002

Quoted at $22.00... Now $8.99... Save $13.01

ETA early December Code 11687

Arrowood Syrah Saralee's Vineyard, Russian River Valley, Sonoma, North Coast 2001

93 Points by Robert Parker in The Wine Advocate, December 2003

Regularly $44.99... Now $17.99... Save $27.00

ETA next delivery late November Code 14654

Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 1996

91 Points by Robert Parker in The Wine Advocate, December 1998

Regularly $105.00... Now $59.99... Save $45.01

ETA next delivery mid November Code 11302

Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 1997

94 Points by Robert Parker in The Wine Advocate, December 2000

ETA next delivery mid November Code 11307

Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 1999

93 Points in Wine Spectator, June 15, 2003

Quoted at $100.00... Now $59.99... Save $40.01

ETA next delivery mid November Code 11238

Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2001

89 Points by Robert Parker in The Wine Advocate, February 2005

ETA late November Code 11685

Beringer Private Reserve Chardonnay 2004

92 Points by Robert Parker in The Wine Advocate, December 2005

Quoted at $35.00... Now $24.99... Save $10.01

ETA late November Code 16462

Blackstone Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Dry Creek Valley 2002

88 Points in The Wine News, August 2005

Quoted at $28.00... Now $13.99... Save $14.01

ETA late November Code 11997

Blackstone Reserve Syrah Dry Creek Valley 2002

92 Points in Connoisseurs' Guide, November 2005

Quoted at $28.00... Now $12.99... Save $15.01

ETA late November Code 14672

Blackstone Reserve Zinfandel Dry Creek Valley 2002

90 Points and EDITOR'S CHOICE in Wine Enthusiast, December 15, 2005

Quoted at $28.00... Now $12.99... Save $15.01

ETA late November Code 13813

Burgess Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 2002

Quoted at $38.00... Now $14.99... Save $23.01

ETA next delivery late November Code 11525

Chateau de Tracy Pouilly Fume, Loire, France 2004

91 Points in Wine Enthusiast, July 2006

Quoted at $35.00... Now $14.99... Save $20.01

ETA next delivery late November Code 21700

Chateau Laforge, St. Emilion, France 2003

89 Points by Robert Parker in The Wine Advocate, April 2004

88 Points in Wine Spectator, March 31, 2006

Quoted at $150.00... Now $49.99... Save $100.01

ETA early December Code 18817

Chateau Lascombes, Margaux Grand Cru Classes 2003

95 Points by Robert Parker in The Wine Advocate, April 2005

Suggested Retail $59.99... Now $39.99... Save $20.00

ETA next delivery early December Code 18988

Chateau Le Dome, St. Emilion, France 2003

93 Points by Robert Parker in The Wine Advocate, April 2006

Quoted at $250.00... Now $149.99... Save $100.01

ETA early December Code 18972

Chateau Mont Redon L'Aire du Rossignol Rose Provence, France 2005

Suggested Retail $14.99... Now $8.99... Save $6.00

ETA next delivery mid November Code 21360

Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages Cabernet Sauvignon 2001

92 Points in Wine Spectator, November 15, 2004

Regularly $79.99... Now $39.99... Save $40.00

ETA next delivery mid November Code 11300

Chateau St. Robert "Poncet Deville" Bordeaux Blanc Graves 2004

Quoted at $34.99... Now $17.99... Save $17.00

ETA early January Code 21207

Collazzi Toscana 2002

91 Points in Wine Spectator, October 31, 2004

Quoted at $50.00... Now $24.99... Save $25.01

ETA late November Code 23233

Domaine Pavillon Bel Air le Chapelain, Lalande de Pomerol, France 2003

Quoted at $49.99... Now $29.99... Save $20.00

ETA early January Code 18805

Domaine Rouge Garance Cotes du Rhone Village, Rhone, France 2003

Quoted at $19.00... Now $9.99... Save $9.01

ETA early December Code 18824

Dry Creek Vineyards Mood Hill Cabernet Sauvignon 2002

Quoted at $30.00... Now $15.99... Save $14.01

ETA early December Code 11690

Ehlers Estate "Chairman's Selection" Meritage, Napa Valley 2005

Quoted at $30.00... Now $14.99... Save $15.01

ETA early January Code 11689

Ehlers Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley 2003

90 Points in Wine Enthusiast, December 1, 2006

Quoted at $33.00... Now $19.99... Save $13.01

ETA early December Code 11688

Emu Wine Company Riesling Tasmania 2005

Suggested Retail $20.00... Now $9.99... Save $10.01

ETA late November Code 28645

EXP Late Harvest Viognier 2005 (375 ml)

Quoted at $20.00... Now $9.99... Save $10.01

ETA late November Code 17800

EXP Viognier Dunnigan Hills, California 2005

Regularly $13.99... Now $8.99... Save $5.00

ETA late November Code 10184

Felton Road Pinot Noir Central Otago, New Zealand 2004

90 Points in Wine Enthusiast, December 1, 2005

Regularly $46.99... Now $29.99... Save $17.00

ETA early December Code 27724

Feuille de Garance, Cotes du Rhones, Rhone, France 2003

Quoted at $17.00... Now $8.99... Save $8.01

ETA early December Code 18866

Flora Springs Cabernet Sauvignon Wild Boar 2003

90 Points by Robert Parker in The Wine Advocate, December 1, 2005

Quoted at $85.00... Now $39.99... Save $45.01

ETA late November Code 11675

Flora Springs Club Select Cabernet Sauvignon 2003

Quoted at $35.00... Now $17.99... Save $17.01

ETA late November Code 11676

Flora Springs Club Select Merlot 2003

Quoted at $28.00... Now $11.99... Save $16.01

ETA late November Code 12215

Flora Springs Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2003

Quoted at $30.00... Now $17.99... Save $12.01

ETA late November Code 11680

Flora Springs Pinot Grigio 2005

Quoted at $13.00... Now $8.99... Save $4.01

ETA late November Code 17815

Flora Springs Poggio del Papa 2003

90 Points by Robert Parker in The Wine Advocate, December 1, 2005

Quoted at $35.00... Now $15.99... Save $19.01

ETA late November Code 14631

Flora Springs Sangiovese 2004

Quoted at $16.00... Now $11.99... Save $4.01

ETA late November Code 14670

Flora Springs Select Cuvee Chardonnay 2004

Quoted at $35.00... Now $17.99... Save $17.01

ETA late November Code 14675

Fra Guerau Monsant 2004

Quoted at $12.00... Now $7.99... Save $4.01

ETA early January Code 25746

Fra Guerau Rosato 2005

Quoted at $15.00... Now $7.99... Save $7.01

ETA late November Code 25747

Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvignon Bosche Vineyard 1999

91 Points in Wine Spectator, November 15, 2003

Quoted at $68.00... Now $24.99... Save $43.01

ETA early December Code 11699

Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvignon Napa 1999

Quoted at $43.00... Now $17.99... Save $25.01

ETA early December Code 11700

Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvignon Sycamore Vineyard 2001

89 Points in Wine Spectator, November 15, 2005

Quoted at $55.00... Now $19.99... Save $35.01

ETA early December Code 11702

Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvingnon Bosche Vineyard 2001

89 Points and EDITOR'S CHOICE in Wine Enthusiast, December 15, 2005

Quoted at $65.00... Now $29.99... Save $35.01

ETA early December Code 11701

Freemark Abbey Chardonnay Rutherford California 2003

90 Points in Wine Enthusiast, March 1, 2005

Quoted at $20.00... Now $12.99... Save $7.01

ETA early December Code 16523

Gary Farrell Merlot Sonoma County 2002

Quoted at $32.00... Now $18.99... Save $13.01

ETA early December Code 12217

Gary Farrell Un-Oaked Chardonnay, Russian River Valley, California 2004

Quoted at $32.00... Now $19.99... Save $12.01

ETA early December Code 16447

Genesis Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley 2002

Quoted at $17.00... Now $8.99... Save $8.01

ETA late November Code 11268

Geyser Peak Shorenstein Vineyard Block Merlot 2001

Regularly $33.89... Now $17.99... Save $15.90

ETA early December Code 12218

Gloria Ferrer Carneros Chardonnay 2003

Quoted at $18.00... Now $10.99... Save $7.01

ETA late November Code 16473

Gloria Ferrer Pinot Noir 2003 (375ml)

Suggested Retail $18.99... Now $9.98... Save $9.01

ETA next delivery late November Code 13134

Gloria Ferrer Royal Cuvee 1997

Suggested Retail $29.99... Now $17.99... Save $12.00

ETA next delivery late November Code 29201

Gloria Ferrer Syrah 2001

Quoted at $24.00... Now $9.99... Save $14.01

ETA late November Code 14663

Goundrey Offspring Shiraz 2003

89 Points in Wine Spectator, October 15, 2005

Quoted at $16.00... Now $7.99... Save $8.01

ETA late November Code 28607

Grant Burge "Chairman's Selection" Barossa Valley Shiraz 2004

Suggested Retail $19.00... Now $8.99... Save $10.01

ETA next delivery early January Code 19211

Haywood Los Chamizal Zinfandel 2003

Quoted at $39.29... Now $17.99... Save $21.30

ETA early December Code 13820

Henri Abele Brut Champagne NV

89 Points in Wine Enthusiast, December 31, 2004

Regularly $32.29... Now $17.99... Save $14.30

ETA next delivery late November Code 29718

Kenwood Chardonnay Russian River Valley 2005

Suggested Retail $19.99... Now $9.99... Save $10.00

ETA next delivery mid November Code 17385

Kenwood Reserve Pinot Noir 2005

Suggested Retail $28.00... Now $19.99... Save $8.01

ETA mid November Code 13131

Kenwood Reserve Zinfandel 2004

Suggested Retail $23.00... Now $14.99... Save $8.01

ETA mid November Code 13799

Lake Sonoma Sauvignon Blanc, Dry Creek Valley 2005

Regularly $16.99... Now $9.99... Save $7.00

ETA next delivery mid November Code 17522

Lake Sonoma Zinfandel Port 2003

Suggested Retail $35.00... Now $17.99... Save $17.01

ETA mid November Code 10190

Lindeman's Pyrus Coonawarra, Australia 2001

Quoted at $30.00... Now $9.99... Save $20.01

ETA late November Code 27625

Louis Latour St. Aubin Cote de Beaune, Burgundy, France 1999

Quoted at $25.00... Now $14.99... Save $10.01

ETA early December Code 21237

Luce della Vite MAGNUM Tuscan Blend, Toscana 2000

92 Points in Wine Enthusiast, October 1, 2004

91 Points in Wine Spectator, October 15, 2003

Quoted at $150.00... Now $59.99... Save $90.01

ETA next delivery late November Code 24624

Mastroberardino Radici Fiano di Avellino 2004

90 Points and Editor's Choice in Wine Enthusiast, September 1, 2005

Quoted at $25.00... Now $14.99... Save $10.01

ETA late November Code 25141

Merryvale Chardonnay Reserve Carneros 2003

88 Points in Wine Enthusiast, May 1, 2006

Quoted at $29.00... Now $14.99... Save $14.01

ETA late November Code 16476

Merryvale Merlot Reserve Napa 2002

Quoted at $35.00... Now $14.99... Save $20.01

ETA late November Code 12216

Montes "Leyda Vineyard" Sauvignon Blanc 2006

Quoted at $17.00... Now $9.99... Save $7.01

ETA late November Code 28822

Montes Alpha "M" Chile 2003

94 Points and Highly Recommended in Wine Spectator, November 30, 2005

Quoted at $82.00... Now $49.89... Save $32.11

ETA next delivery late November Code 29003

Murphy-Goode "All-In" Claret 2003

Quoted at $45.00... Now $19.99... Save $25.01

ETA early December Code 11623

Murphy-Goode "Wild Card" Claret 2002

Quoted at $19.00... Now $9.99... Save $9.01

ETA early December Code 14704

Murphy-Goode/Pedroncelli "Friends" Zinfandel, Sonoma County 2001

Suggested Retail $18.99... Now $8.99... Save $10.00

ETA next delivery mid November Code 13757

Newton Puzzle Napa Valley 2001

90 Points by Robert Parker in The Wine Advocate, December 2003

Quoted at $55.00... Now $22.99... Save $32.01

ETA next delivery late November Code 11083

Nozzole Chianti Classico Riserva la Forra, Tuscany,Italy 2001

90 Points by Daniel Thomases in The Wine Advocate, April 2006

90 Points in Wine Spectator, October 15, 2004

Quoted at $40.00... Now $15.99... Save $24.01

ETA early January Code 23351

Nozzole Il Pareto 2001

91 Points in Wine Spectator, October 15, 2004

Quoted at $70.00... Now $39.99... Save $30.01

ETA next delivery late November Code 23471

Raymond Estates Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 2002

88 Points in The Wine News, June/July 2005

Quoted at $20.00... Now $9.99... Save $10.01

ETA late Novemeber Code 11682

Rutz Cellars Dutton Ranch Pinot Noir 2004

Quoted at $38.00... Now $17.99... Save $20.01

ETA late November Code 13144

Rutz Cellars Martinelli-Burnside Vineyard Pinot Noir 2002

Quoted at $80.00... Now $39.99... Save $40.01

ETA late November Code 13140

Rutz Cellars Pinot Noir River Road 2003

Quoted at $38.00... Now $19.99... Save $18.01

ETA late November Code 13137

Rutz Cellars Windsor Gardens Pinot Noir 2003

Quoted at $60.00... Now $24.99... Save $35.01

ETA late November Code 13142

Sandeman's Vau Vintage "Quinta do Vau" 1999

88 Points and EDITOR'S CHOICE in Wine Enthusiast, December 1, 2004

Quoted at $36.99... Now $19.99... Save $17.00

ETA early November Code 10200

Sauvignon Republic Sauvignon Blanc, Russian River Valley, California 2005

89 Points and "Top Value" in Wine Spectator, October 31, 2006

Quoted at $18.00... Now $12.99... Save $5.01

ETA late November Code 17454

Segura Viudas Mas D'Aranyo Riserva 2001

88 Points by Josh Raynolds in International Wine Cellar, September/October 2006

Quoted at $15.00... Now $9.99... Save $5.01

ETA late November Code 25744

Silverado "Chairman's Selection" Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 2005

Regularly $45.00... Now $19.99... Save $25.01

ETA mid November Code 11514

Stonestreet Merlot Alexander Valley 2002

Quoted at $25.00... Now $11.99... Save $13.01

ETA early December Code 12222

Valdubon Cosecha Ribera del Deuro 2005

Quoted at $18.00... Now $8.99... Save $9.01

ETA late November Code 25745

Vine Cliff Oakville Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 1999

88 Points in Wine Spectator, June 30, 2002

Quoted at $75.00... Now $29.99... Save $45.01

ETA early December Code 11696

Vionta Albarino 2005

Regularly $18.99... Now $11.99... Save $7.00

ETA next delivery late November Code 25981

Wild Horse Syrah 2003

Quoted at $18.00... Now $9.99... Save $8.01

ETA early December Code 14740

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

People ask me about the storage conditions in the stores. I have seen the great new air conditioned display areas for the high end wines in Ardmore, Bryn Mawr and Narberth. But how are the wines stored before they get there? Are the distribution centers appropriately cool, are the trucks cooled and are the local in-store storage areas cooled?

I can't answer for the warehouses, but I don't think they're using refrigerated trucks. Not such a problem at this time of year but my heart aches for the shipments in June-September.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Finally cranked open my bottle of Kaiken Malbec Ultra 2004 this evening after a long night of slinging prime rib and lots of wine. Tasty stuff. The Price/Value Quotient is pretty high for this bottling. It's definitely more intense than the regular Kaiken malbec that was around last year. Very concentrated fruit and you can smell a bit of alcohol on the nose. Very deep dark and chocolate-y. Pretty smooth tannins considering how young it is, too. I wish I'd bought a whole mess more of this. :angry:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I can't answer for the warehouses, but I don't think they're using refrigerated trucks.  Not such a problem at this time of year but my heart aches for the shipments in June-September.

:sad: The wine shipped during the summer months could be in the store at any time afterwards! It does not all sell quickly.