• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine & Spirits Bargains at the PLCB (Part 3)

No worries, I have about 6 bottles left. Beautiful wine isn't it?

Isn't is way overpriced for what it is?

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't pay the $100 retail price. I picked up a case of the 2001 in NJ for $59 per bottle and think it was worth every penny. I still believe it was mismarked but failed to bring it to anyone's attention

No worries, I have about 6 bottles left. Beautiful wine isn't it?

Isn't is way overpriced for what it is?

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't pay the $100 retail price. I picked up a case of the 2001 in NJ for $59 per bottle and think it was worth every penny. I still believe it was mismarked but failed to bring it to anyone's attention

I don't think it was mismarked; they're selling it for $57.99 a bottle here, for example.

I don't think it was mismarked; they're selling it for $57.99 a bottle here, for example.

Yeah it was. I picked up a 2001 cab from Napa not Alexander Valley. These are going for around $100 per bottle.

I paid $60 for the Alexander Valley and the NAPA was selling for $100 at the tasting room in Sonoma.

• 2 weeks later...

A thumbs-up for two decent values ...

Omaka Springs Sauvingnon Blanc 2006 ($9.99): Somewhat richer than the 2005 version but the clean grapefruit tang keeps it fresh. A nice sipper on a hot day!

Dom. Faiveley Bourgogne Blanc 2003 ($9.99): The 2003 heat may be making this atypical but, compared with the Toasted Head currently on the Chairman's list, it's positively lean. Tastes of tropical fruit (not banana) with maybe some green apple and not much oak or alcohol. Again, nothing complex (a little barnyard funk as it warmed) but a good, non-intrusive summer salad accompanyment.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up 3 the other night and had one with dinner and found it to be very food friendly. Great price and a great taste.

I also picked up several bottles of the Armadale Vodka from Scotland. It's a premium hand crafted vodka made from barley & wheat and for what it's worth it's the vodka of choice for Jay-Z and the hip hop people from Roc-A-Fella records.

But best of all it's very smooth and the 1 litre bottle is $15.99 instead of the normal $36.99 price...save $20. It's advertised like a chairman select but I don't recall seeing it on the website.

Edited by Dennis (log)

Wow. Hip-hop vodka in PA. Who'da thunk it. :rolleyes:

My latest bargain is the 1.75 liter MAGNUM of Eagle Rare 10 year old bourbon that's on closeout for the low low price of $35.99. Yes. That's right. The regular 750ml bottle @ $24.99 is still one of my faves, but when I saw this big-assed bottle at the 7th and South Street store I snapped it up. There's still a few more sprinkled about, so run and get yours before they're gone! This is great bourbon even at the regular price, but the humongous bottle makes quite a statement. Could be a fabulous gift for the bourbon lover in your life. Or yourself, if you think like I do. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to see if I can find one out here in the burbs. I had been drinking the Buffalo Trace for the last couple of years and tried the Eagle Rare when it was on sale this past winter and liked it just as much. And if I remeber right, there was an artcile by Craig LaBan on bourbons awhile back and I believe he said that Eagle Rare was produced by Buffalo Trace or they're both produced by the same distiller.... Either way, they're both very good.

Once upon a time - well, ten years ago or so, anyway - there was a very beautiful woman. Because she was beautiful in a difficult, sharp-edged way, and because she lived in a distant place, a land of craggy barren hills and short-spoken people, her beauty was not widespread knowledge. But secrets will out, and in time travelers came and went, and took with them word of this acidulous beautiful girl from a harsh place.

So people came and looked. And they saw that she was beautiful. But, they said... Her cheekbones could be softer, more round, like Aunt Pegs, only nicer. And her eyes... must their green stare pierce quite so? Would not a pleasant brown be ever so much nicer? And why so tall? Certainly four inches less would be quite enough for any girl, no matter how beautiful...

She might not have listened. But this girl, beautiful as she was, was from a small and harsh place, and she had grown up with tales of faraway princesses. So she did listen. And she stooped slightly. And she dropped her green gaze. And she ate a good deal of high-milkfat premium ice cream.

So this girl...

Oh, okay, let's call her Priorat. Priorat became easier to like. But I for one would not make the trip when she became just another pretty girl.

I liked the '03 Torres Emblema, PLCB number 26471, I honestly did. But whatever cheeky Spanish Marketing Guy decided to call this a Priorat should be dunked head-first in a vat of the real thing. Procedure to be repeated until he became able to discern the vineyard of origin a full four inches before immersion.

It's a good wine. Plenty of fruit, a decent backbone - more acid than tannin - perfectly approachable at this early date. Went nicely with a great dinner at Apamate, which entailed a good deal of limberness and adaptability. At $12.99, it may be a *great* wine, though I would have been disappointed to find such commonly attractive good looks had I paid retail.

But it's not the girl I knew.

Edited by Capaneus (log)

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to see if I can find one out here in the burbs. I had been drinking the Buffalo Trace for the last couple of years and tried the Eagle Rare when it was on sale this past winter and liked it just as much. And if I remeber right, there was an artcile by Craig LaBan on bourbons awhile back and I believe he said that Eagle Rare was produced by Buffalo Trace or they're both produced by the same distiller.... Either way, they're both very good.

I snapped up two more big assed bottles at the 19th & Fairmount store today - one for the restaurant and yet another for myself. I'll be drinking very good bourbon for quite some time into the future, but that's OK with me. I'm happy to pay less than premium prices for more than premium bourbon anytime. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I snapped up two more big assed bottles at the 19th & Fairmount store today - one for the restaurant and yet another for myself. I'll be drinking very good bourbon for quite some time into the future, but that's OK with me. I'm happy to pay less than premium prices for more than premium bourbon anytime. :wink:

I got one of these this morning at the Lancaster store. A great price on a great product. We leave Sunday morning for a week at the beach. I am taking it with me and plan to pour it at will throughout the week.

This really is a great deal. I am always in favor of good bourbon and even more in favor of it at a good price

After reading the last 2 posts I decided to go out and find one for myself, and as luck would have it, I found one at the Jenkintown store. But I didn't get off cheap. They had a lot of new selections so I picked up several low cost wines to try, including; Blockheadia Ringnosia & Cycles Gladiator. I have to admit it, I was tempted by the labels for these 2 buys...has anyone tried either one?

Edited by Dennis (log)

Picked up 2 bottles of Eagle Rare myself. The Phoenixville store (of all places) has 8 more bottles left.

I understand that this is a closeout, but there is no mention of it at the store. It looks as if this is a regular item that normally sells for $34.99. Is there any reason to believe that it won't still be available at this price for awhile?

Thanks for the tip on the Armadale Vodka. I'd never heard of it before. Picked up two bottles after reading the slate.com taste test article. My personal opinion was in agreement. It's not quite Chopin, but better than belvedere, level and most other premiums out there. Has a slightly sweet, slightly peaty taste without compromising the smoothness.

And at <$20 for a 1 Liter bottle it's a bargain. I was nervous before sampling because somehow Tito's always scores well in the taste tests. I picked up a bottle to try one time based solely on the fact that it's quadruple distilled and I thought it was just awful (not even as good as Rain, also from KY).

Armadale is a keeper.

[...]

So this girl...

Oh, okay, let's call her Priorat. Priorat became easier to like. But I for one would not make the trip when she became just another pretty girl.

I liked the '03 Torres Emblema, PLCB number 26471, I honestly did. But whatever cheeky Spanish Marketing Guy decided to call this a Priorat should be dunked head-first in a vat of the real thing. Procedure to be repeated until he became able to discern the vineyard of origin a full four inches before immersion.

It's a good wine. Plenty of fruit, a decent backbone - more acid than tannin - perfectly approachable at this early date. Went nicely with a great dinner at Apamate, which entailed a good deal of limberness and adaptability. At $12.99, it may be a *great* wine, though I would have been disappointed to find such commonly attractive good looks had I paid retail.

But it's not the girl I knew.

We had this wine over the weekend with grilled ribeyes. As described above, it's all about fruit with decent acid to balance the fruit. Tannins took a backseat making the Torres Emblema very much a drink-now wine.

Had some again the next day with pot roast where it was also used as part of the braising liquid. It did pick up some complexity showing more earthiness than the first day so maybe some short-term cellar time would be useful.

I've never had a true Priorat wine so I have no basis for comparison. Does anyone have a suggestion for something available at the PLCB that will provide a Priorat experience for a reasonable price? So many wines; so little time (and money)!

Picked up 2 bottles of Eagle Rare myself. The Phoenixville store (of all places) has 8 more bottles left.

I understand that this is a closeout, but there is no mention of it at the store. It looks as if this is a regular item that normally sells for $34.99. Is there any reason to believe that it won't still be available at this price for awhile?

The manager confirmed that it is indeed a closeout and that it will not be available (at least for some time) once the inventory is gone. BTW, the Phoenixville store does not have this item displayed out front, but they do have it in the back storage area.

The manager confirmed that it is indeed a closeout and that it will not be available (at least for some time) once the inventory is gone. BTW, the Phoenixville store does not have this item displayed out front, but they do have it in the back storage area.

There are still several bottles in West Chester as well. One fewer as of last night....

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone tried the Cosentino Syrah that is currently a Chairmans selection? It's flying off the shelves in Newtown and before I go somewhere else I was just wondering if anyone has opinions on the stuff.

Don't know about the syrah but a few years ago there was a great Chairman's Selection deal on the Cosentino "the Poet". I bought lots of it and wish I had bought still more.