• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad smell from sous vide machine

Hello. Cooking a meat in a sous vide supreme for more than 12 hours, when i open the lid a feel an odd smell. Does it make sense? There is no leaking. I taste the water and it was fine. Where does this smell come from? I don't know about the meat because it is still in a cooking process, but i read a lot of comments about this on internet.

Thanks.

Hi, When I cook beef sous vide it usually comes out smelling something like dogfood. But after searing in butter, it is excellent, and smells good.

However, recently I cooked a 7 bone chuck roast for more than a day. I set the temp to 54 C, I usually use 55 C, but wanted something nice and rare. It smelled disgusting!! Even after washing, I couldn't eat it. It was an unfamiliar smell, very strong, not plastic. I can only think some bacteria went wild in there. I wonder what it was.

I didn't wash the meat before hand.

Next time I washed the meat carefully and dropped it in boiling water briefly. I bumped up the temp to 55.

That one smelled OK after sous vide.

Good Luck !

• 2 weeks later...