• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excellent Adventures on Manitoulin ...continued

Kerry Beal

not trying to be a wise asse here ....

I don't think you're being a wise ass. But I don't think you're getting what they're explaining to you. Using charred wood in the aging of spirits is normal and does all kinds of good things to the spirits being aged. Recycling previously used charred barrels to age another spirit is common as well. They're not trying to get essence of Jack Daniels in their spirits, they're trying to get the effect of whiskey barrel aging. Nothing dangerous to be concerned about.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Indeed - bourbon barrels have activated charcoal in contact with the spirit. Over time, as the product heats and cools the tannins and other compounds are leached from the further reaches of the wood. If they were to put the ∼65% spirit into a raw oak barrel the tannins would be overwhelming before the other compounds could add their contribution.

I'm working in Wikwimakong tomorrow - so lots of people to feed. Decided to make the best use of duck eggs.

DSCN2243.jpg

Crostada with some strawberries from the freezer cooked down with a little of the Food52 strawberry sorbet that I found in the freezer as well (provides a nice contribution of ground whole lemons), mixed with the jar of Hawberry Jelly I was given the other day.

One duck egg took the place of 1 egg plus one yolk.

DSCN2245.jpg

Pound cake again - but this one with glace cherries.

DSCN2246.jpg

A tiny little squffin of pound cake for Anna - said I couldn't leave the house with the other pound cake otherwise.

• Like 2

We stopped in the Espanola Mall for a bite of lunch yesterday.

image.jpg

Kerry had a Spanish omelet

image.jpg

And I had a toasted club on white (chicken not turkey).

While lunch was unremarkable we both marvelled that 2 people, a cook and a server, were able to largely keep up with the lunch time crowd. Granted it was a small cafe, perhaps 8 tables, but they were also taking phoned in orders and walk in orders from mall employees for takeout.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

thank you. Ive been looking for the JD Chips,( not really that hard ) for use in my Low-Salt SV Smoked Corned Beef system

HDepot didnt have them so I gave up. are there charred bits in the bag?

hope you don't get into making Home Brew Retsina granted that might involve Pine a different kettle of fish, or perhaps turpentine.

look what that's done to Greece

:wacko:

• Like 1

So the plan for today (Kerry is away at the clinic in Wiki) is to make a generic curry sauce from Jamie Oliver so we can use up the leftover chicken and perhaps the pork if there is enough sauce.

Here's the mise for that:

image.jpg

(For you, rotuts). Some fenugreek seeds and some curry leaves would be a nice addition but....

The duck we bought yesterday in Espanola is almost defrosted and sometime later this afternoon it will go into the Big Easy. I had asked Dejah for her recipe for Cantonese duck but as she guessed I am missing some key ingredients. Actually we are running low on duck fat so plain is a great idea.

Then if all goes well I'll make the onion soubise that I planned a day or so ago.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

There are some charred looking bits in the bag.

No danger of me trying to make retsina - never could stomach the stuff. I think the first thing I'll play with is some Wray and Nephew overproof 'aged' on the chips.

thanks! you plan to collect that duck Fat in one of those container below it ?

ABSOLUTELY ! I could not secure the skin flap on the duck so rather than waste a precious drop of fat I snipped it off and it is now slowly surrendering its gold:

image.jpg

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Steps in the curry sauce. Mustard seeds, ginger, jalapeno and onions beginning to soften.

image.jpg

After 30 or 40 minutes

Lunch!

image.jpg

Initially I found it too be too coconutty but I added some water and the chopped up leftover chicken and it became quite satisfactory. I divided the sauce before adding the chicken so we have the potential for another meal of leftovers.

My 2004 eG Blog

Who got the crisped skin after the fat rendered?Were the mustard seeds toasted/popped before mingling with the onions?

The skin flap, in my experience, never crisps up properly and this time was no exception. I tried but ...meh. Yes, Kerry will be chasing popped mustard seeds forever! Thanks for rattin' on me.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

The mise for Julia Child's onion soubise. I have promised myself to make this recipe for years. It's very simple so not sure what was stopping me.

It calls for a 3 quart baking dish but all I had was a 2 qt. Not a problem I am sure since we all know how onions cook down.

image.jpg

And the duck is in the BE

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

The Wiki staff took me out for lunch today at the Rainbow Ridge golf club - not quite 'on par' with the Burlington Golf and Country Club - however a perfectly satisfactory lunch was had by all.

I forgot pictures until half way through

IMG_0837.jpg

Grilled chicken caesar

IMG_0836.jpg

Sweet potato fries shared by all

IMG_0838.jpg

A lovely piece of banana cream pie for my birthday that they had to get at the grocery store because the golf club is closing next week and they don't have any more desserts.

• Like 1

We've seen a lot of change in the leaves in the time we've been here - dull today but decided to stop for a picture.

DSCN2248.jpg

This eve a Pan American Clipper - calvados in place of applejack, home made grenadine, lime and splash of absinthe (the good stuff).

DSCN2257.jpg

• Like 1

Anna, have you tried weighting down the pieces of the skin flap, like you'd do with bacon? Use one of the bacon press thingies? Might help..?

I just think there is something about the composition of neck skin that prevents it from crisping. Bet there's a SSB who could explain it.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Our haul of duck fat after a night in the fridge.

I am enjoying one of Kerry's ginger cookies as I contemplate what I might get up to today.

My 2004 eG Blog

The duck skin looked super! Did the inside stay moist and tender? I collected the fat and used it to sautee vegetables, then added the juice. Really good stuff with all the flavours from the marinade. I love the drippings when I do chicken with kaffir lime leaves - perfect for anything!

Crazy, ain't it? Using the BE to reduce the fat in the protein, then use the fat to cook healthy vegetables... :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The duck skin looked super! Did the inside stay moist and tender? I collected the fat and used it to sautee vegetables, then added the juice. Really good stuff with all the flavours from the marinade. I love the drippings when I do chicken with kaffir lime leaves - perfect for anything!

Crazy, ain't it? Using the BE to reduce the fat in the protein, then use the fat to cook healthy vegetables... :laugh:

I have cooked an awful lot of ducks but never before have I achieved such shatteringly crisp skin! The meat was still juicy but if a repeat performance were in the offing I would put the lid on sooner and pull the duck 20-30 mins earlier. Yes, it is amusing to think how well we seem to contadict ourselves in the kitchen!

My 2004 eG Blog