• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single serve coffee maker(s): diagram

rotuts

all true. but interesting.

it can only be as good as the coffee in the little plastic cup.

for those in the Starbucks realm, I wonder how these cups compare to SBUX cups.

not for me but ....

If I really am jonesing for a great cup I hit the local roastery about 1/2 km away from my house . They roast everyday and pull great shots on an elektra

At home I have a french press and a regular keurig that has been convenient and consistent for a quick cup on the way out the door . I had been using the attachement cup that let me use grounds from the local roastery, because I hadn't found a regular K-cup that I liked. I have now found a product from President's Choice, a pod [ not plastic cup but a soft filter bottom } PC West Coast Dark that fits regular keurig machines and tastes stronger and fresher than any k-cup I have tried. The pods come in a mylar bag with the standard CO2 offgassing valve because they are filter bottomed.

As far as maintenance goes, I havn't had many issues. it pays to run descaling cycles with vinegar every month or two otherwise it might start to run a bit funky even before it automatically asks to be descaled.

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I saw silicon cups that you put your own ground coffee into to use instead of the pre-made cups today at T.J. Maxx. Don't know if they were there because they failed at retail, but, it seems like you could roast and grind your own and get a better result from the machine this way. I don't drink coffee, so, I won't be doing any experiments with this.

I never liked the Keurig, still don't.

I've been using a Senseo since they first appeared in the U.S. and I make my own pods or use a refillable one with my own coffee (sometimes roasted and ground by me) and it (when set on the highest setting) fills a large mug which holds 14 ounces.

I am very fussy about my coffee and to me regular brewed coffee tastes "stale" after it sits for more than half an hour. I used to waste a lot of coffee because the smallest brewers - 2 cup, never worked well and although I would occasionally use my favorite SILEX VACUUM brewer, I would toss the brewed coffee after an hour and make a fresh pot.

Sadly, the company stopped supporting the Senseo brand in the U.S. but they are still popular in Europe. I, being somewhat of a fanatic, do have a couple of backups (Senseo Spureme digital) (purchased when they were deeply discounted just before the line was discontinued) for when the one in current use dies and I have an extra Perfect Pod Maker and two or three extra refillable pods (Coffeeduck Classic http://www.amazon.com/Coffeeduck-Classic-Permanent-Refillable-HD7810-HD7812/dp/B00295RASY/ref=pd_sim_k_4) .

And, when they are on sale, I buy a box of the Melitta, Dark roast coffee pods.

NONE of the other single-serve coffee machines, and I have tried them all, has produced a cup that (to me) is as good as the Senseo.

I tried a Keurig and returned it after two days because it sputtered all over the counter. The replacement did no better so I returned it for a cash refund. The Hamilton Beach coffee was flavorless. The Tassimo stopped working after a dozen tries and seemed to require "cleaning" after only a few brews. It was borrowed. I did buy and return a Bunn single serve because it never got the water hot enough to fully brew what I consider a good cup of coffee.

I do have a Dolce Gusto Creativa (Nescafe) which was a gift and is more a mini espresso (15 BAR pressure system) and uses the Nescafe pods, which are fairly expensive (no refillable product yet available). It does not fill a large mug but the results are very good.

If I have guests, I still prepare coffee (usually home roasted and ground) in my 70-year-old 8-cup SILEX vacuum brewer, which makes excellent coffee and has it's own electric "stove" and it is a handsome item to have on the table.

Silex 8 cup.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If I have guests, I still prepare coffee (usually home roasted and ground) in my 70-year-old 8-cup SILEX vacuum brewer, which makes excellent coffee and has it's own electric "stove" and it is a handsome item to have on the table.

It sure is a nice looking contraption ... :smile:

• Like 1

... Shel