• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maraschino cherry juice – what to do with it?

Darienne

A local bulk food store periodically; gives away 1 liter containers of maraschino cherry and confectionery partner, Barbara, gifted me with a container yesterday. It's what is left over when the cherry bin is empty or drained I guess.

How should it be stored for a long period?

What can I do with it besides thicken it to use on ice cream or mix with soda water? This juice is not as thick as say ginger syrup. (Don't bother with mixed alcoholic drinks please.)

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Freeze it in icecube trays, then use the cubes in something clear-ish like lemonade. Would look pretty, and not water down as they melt:) Only problem I can see is making icecube trays sticky, but thats what a dishwasher is for lol

Do or do not. There is no try.

-Yoda

Freezing is your best bet for storage.

As for what to do with it, I like to recreate Sonic's cherry-limeade with it. Get a Sprite, Mexican if possible, take a tall glass and add a 1/4 lime (squeezed into cup before tossing in the wedge) and 2 tsp of maraschino juice and, if you have them, a couple of maraschino cherries. Add ice and pour in the Sprite. The actual cherries are optional, the drink will be delicious without them.

Right. And a classic to use for pink lemonade, or Shirley Temples. Summer will be here before you know it. Lots of cool summertime drinks benefit from a splash of maraschino cherry juice.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Don't wait for the snow to go.....head outside and catch some falling snow in a cup or bowl...pour over the cherry syrup. Voila, instant (edible) snowball (aka snowcone, but those things are just pale imitations of "real" NOLA style snowballs). If you really want to live it up, drizzle sweetened condensed milk over the whole shebang. Aw, yeah.

If you thicken some of it down, you can use it in place of grenadine in the red layer of a margarita pie. It's a different twist on that flavour, one that should marry well with the others.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

PanaCan, I am not familiar with a Margarita Pie recipe that includes a layer of Grenadine. Would you please direct me to said recipe? Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've never actually followed a recipe for margarita pie..... Generally, I was taught that a margarita has, in the nipple of the glass, a bit of grenadine or maraschino which can be stirred into the drink for those who prefer a sweeter cocktail. When I make margarita pies, I generally remove about 1/4 of the filling mixture and add a shot (1 oz) of grenadine to it, then put this into the shell first, and float the remainder of the filling on top. This simulates both the look and the flavour of the cocktail as I was taught to mix it.

Edited because for some reason it posted before I was done.....

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Freezing is your best bet for storage.

As for what to do with it, I like to recreate Sonic's cherry-limeade with it. Get a Sprite, Mexican if possible, take a tall glass and add a 1/4 lime (squeezed into cup before tossing in the wedge) and 2 tsp of maraschino juice and, if you have them, a couple of maraschino cherries. Add ice and pour in the Sprite. The actual cherries are optional, the drink will be delicious without them.

Hi Lisa et al. Never had a Sonic cherry-limeade (I live in Canada) and we don't have Mexican Sprite here (same thing) so I don't know what it should taste like.

However, I did use lime juice, maraschino juice (more than you called for because this stuff isn't thick or very sweet compared to what is in a bottle of Maraschino cherries) and poured it into a club soda. Lovely. And there's still feet of snow outside. :biggrin: Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.