• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

Making a recipe for chili con carne that I've had floating in my head for a while. Did some short ribs at 130F for 72 hours, chilled them down, cut them into cubes, and froze them solid. I'm going to deep fry them from frozen and move them to a 130F bath with the chili base to let the flavors mingle. There will also be ground and braised short rib in the final version... I'm thinking these little cubes of medium rare short rib will add a special steaky meatiness to the dish.

Froze them on parchment...

IMG_4981.JPG

Then sealed them up until it's time to fry. 

IMG_4982.JPG

Planning on holding them in the sauce (post-fry) for an hour or so. Worth a shot, right?

btbyrd

btbyrd

Making a recipe for chili con carne that I've had floating in my head for a while. Did some short ribs at 130F for 72 hours, chilled them down, cut them into cubes, and froze them solid. I'm going to deep fry them from frozen and move them to a 130F bath with the chili base to let the flavors mingle. There will also be ground and braised short rib in the final version... I'm thinking these little cubes of medium rare short rib will add a special steaky meatiness to the dish.

Froze them in parchment...

IMG_4981.JPG

Then sealed them up until it's time to fry. 

IMG_4982.JPG

Planning on holding them in the sauce (post-fry) for an hour or so. Worth a shot, right?