• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide – what to buy or ask for, for Christmas?

Robert Jueneman

8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't understand the anova preheat problem.  Mine heats up more in seconds than minutes.  Unless you're cooking in the bathtub.

Seconds? I doubt that. At 800 watts you're looking at something like 5 seconds per degree C per liter (very ballpark, ignoring compounding factors, etc.). So to heat a five liter bath from 20C to 60C you're looking at something in the neighborhood of fifteen minutes.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

3 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Seconds? I doubt that. At 800 watts you're looking at something like 5 seconds per degree C per liter (very ballpark, ignoring compounding factors, etc.). So to heat a five liter bath from 20C to 60C you're looking at something in the neighborhood of fifteen minutes.

I start with hot tap water (just measured with Thermapen at 60 deg C) -- and my anova is not 800 watts.  If you have a little anova and were trying to boil water you might have to be more patient.

I stand by my "seconds".

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou