• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

hathor, I'm delighted to see that your steak has a very healthy crust of crushed peppercorns. :biggrin:

Do you find that they come loose from the steak while cooking? When that happens, I scrape all the loose bits from the pan and smear them on the cooked steak (like spackle) before serving.

hathor, I'm delighted to see that your steak has a very healthy crust of crushed peppercorns. :biggrin:

Do you find that they come loose from the steak while cooking? When that happens, I scrape all the loose bits from the pan and smear them on the cooked steak (like spackle) before serving.

Actually I had very little fall off...and what fell off got mixed up with the mushrooms!

Went to the Farmer's Market in Marylebone (London) on Sunday so made up dinner to use up some of the veggies tonight. Some green and yellow baby courgettes (or zucchini if you're on the other side of the pond), cut into chunks, sauted in olive oil and then made into a Spanish omelette with some sweetcorn, half an onion and a little Lincolnshire Poacher cheese.

Mmmmm...

Inspired by Laska's wonderful blog, I made a variation on his pepper crusted steak.  It was literally heart stopping!!  :biggrin:

The steak is resting on a bed of crimini mushrooms that were sauteed in lots of butter and finished with a little whiskey.

Accompanied by a fresh, chopped asparagus salad and lots of red wine. Those peppercorns make you thirsty!!!

Hathor, that looks, well actually... sensuously good!

I have been on vacation, and out of town twice during this time off, and haven't kept up with postings. I have to read Laksa's Blog! I'm so out of touch, I didn't even know who was blogging now.

I also have some wonderful dinners to describe on this thread... but it has to be later; we're in between courses even as we speak. I have been pretending it's a weekend for about three weeks now, in the way we've been eating.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Rosemary-lemon chicken skewers

Rice with almonds and raisins

Spanakopita

Griddled vegetables: zucchini, red peppers, portabellos

Pita with tzatziki

Apricot trifle: toasted cake layered with apricots and a creme patisserie lightened with yogurt and honey

For 40.

crimini mushrooms that were sauteed in lots of butter and finished with a little whiskey.

hathor, I've never heard nor thought of this--what does the whisky do to the mushrooms? (and that picture makes me hungry--and I just ate the summer's second BLT!)

crimini mushrooms that were sauteed in lots of butter and finished with a little whiskey.

hathor, I've never heard nor thought of this--what does the whisky do to the mushrooms? (and that picture makes me hungry--and I just ate the summer's second BLT!)

Whiskey and mushrooms are a great combo. A perrennial tailgaiting crowd pleaser I do is an aluminum tin filled with button mushrooms, a couple sticks of butter, salt, pepper, and a healthy pour of bourbon. Just stick it on a grill, cover it up, and let the coals slow cook it for a while.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

For him- deep dish pizza with sausage, olives and green peppers. Fresh tomato slices on the side with parmesan. Beer.

Myself- BBQ pork (Chinese-style) rolled with basil leaf and cilantro, dipped in spicy, nose-watering mustard sweet/sour chili sauce. Beer.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Hathor,

I cook my fillets very similar. I put sarawak white, green and sarawak black peppercorns in the spice mill to break them up before crusting the steak. They all stay on this way. I then deglaze with some port or madiera and then add demiglace and some veal stock and then reduce and and finish it with some butter.

Edited by foolcontrol (log)

I was once diagnosed with a split personality but we are all okay now.

I put sarawak white, green and sarawak black peppercorns in the spice mill...

foolcontrol, you have excellent taste. :smile:

Whiskey and mushrooms are a great combo.

NulloModo, does scotch work as well or does it have to be bourbon?

I tried vermouth once in a creamy mushroom sauce. It turned out a little on the sweet side.

Inspired by Laska's wonderful blog, I made a variation on his pepper crusted steak.  It was literally heart stopping!!  :biggrin:

The steak is resting on a bed of crimini mushrooms that were sauteed in lots of butter and finished with a little whiskey.

Accompanied by a fresh, chopped asparagus salad and lots of red wine. Those peppercorns make you thirsty!!!

Hathor, that looks, well actually... sensuously good!

I have been on vacation, and out of town twice during this time off, and haven't kept up with postings. I have to read Laksa's Blog! I'm so out of touch, I didn't even know who was blogging now.

I also have some wonderful dinners to describe on this thread... but it has to be later; we're in between courses even as we speak. I have been pretending it's a weekend for about three weeks now, in the way we've been eating.

I wondered where you had been! :laugh: Hope you enjoyed your vacation!!!

[Whiskey and mushrooms are a great combo. A perrennial tailgaiting crowd pleaser I do is an aluminum tin filled with button mushrooms, a couple sticks of butter, salt, pepper, and a healthy pour of bourbon. Just stick it on a grill, cover it up, and let the coals slow cook it for a while.

Gee, I didn't think this was so unusual. The whiskey adds a richness to the flavor. I'm a total dummy when it comes to whiskey/scotch etc. Is "rye" whiskey? I started adding it to a classic steak au poivre and it just kind of filled out the flavors in a way that wine or vermouth couldn't do.

NulloMondo: that mushroom dish sounds great! You wouldn't be chance be coming to the eGullet potluck would you?? Hint. Hint. :biggrin:

Hmm, somehow I have completely not heard about it. which forum is the discussion in?

You're in Delaware, right? Might be a little far for you, but it could be worth it!!

Here's the link: eGullet NJ potluck

and then people would be wanting those liverwurst soy nut butter sandwiches...and where would this all end??? :biggrin:

It's catch-up time...

i11900.jpg

i11901.jpg

Tonight before dinner with drinks we had Pico de Gallo and tortilla chips. For dinner we had these yummy Porcini-Gorgonzola Burgers with Veal Demi-Glace, using some demi-glace I made a few days ago, potatoes fried in duck fat, and corn and sweet onion salad ...Best "gourmet burger" we've ever had.

i11903.jpg

i11907.jpg

Last night:

Pizza with Prosciutto, Arugula, & Parm-Reg

Mediterranean Steaks Mirabeaux

Baby Artichoke and Fava Bean Nage

i11905.jpg

i11906.jpg

i11908.jpg

Wednesday night, my first night to cook at home after being in Orlando for a few days and getting inspired by dining out, I made a pasta with anchovies first course; then grilled whole snapper and vegetables; and a salad of heirloom tomatoes, some sprouts, and grated black radishes atop a homemade crouton with a little wedge of St. Marcellin on the side.

Being on vacation has been such fun, even if we did have Hurricane Charley. During this time off, while we were both home, we did some shopping in stores and online, so that we could indulge in some special vacation meals. Foie gras, summer truffles, an assortment of anchovies, cheeses, and some American paddlefish caviar were among the treats. It's been like a three week long weekend!

I can't remember the details of what went with what, nor the wines with these meals or those above, but it sure has been good.

Making Tournedos Rossini...

i11910.jpg

The finished product...

i11911.jpg

This dish of angel hair pasta and shrimp garnished with caviar might have been the first course before the Tournedos Rossini dinner, but I'm not sure.

i11909.jpg

Somewhere in there was this seared foie gras with carmelized onions and apples.

i11912.jpg

Same for this Carpaccio...

i11914.jpg

That might have been the night we had an appetizer dinner, to taste-test the anchovies we ordered, plus some other goodies.

i11913.jpg

You know, it's great having this forum, to share the excitement of what we cook with people who have knowledge and appreciation. Some of my friends don't even know what some of these foods are. Just wanted to say thanks, eG!

Before I left for Orlando, we had not used all of the whole duck foie gras we bought, so we put the little bit left into the freezer... Has anybody had any experience with freezing it? I'll report back, after we thaw and cook it.

Wow, Susan!

I just dusted some chicken thighs with bread crumbs and "Ozark Seasoning" (Penzeys) and pan-fried them, then made a milk gravy out of the drippings. Homemade mashed potatoes on the side.

Rachel Sincere

Rachel, it's all good. After a streak of vacation eating like we've had, I will be craving completely different food. In fact, already from reading eG posts, I'm ready for spaghetti and meatballs, liverwurst sandwiches, and chicken. Tuesday I go back to work, and as much as I've enjoyed these indulgences, I will enjoy whatever it is we are hungry for then just as much. Well almost.

But tonight, we're still splurging. Actually, this dinner isn't such a big splurge because live Maine lobsters were on sale today, cheap. Tonight we're enjoying lobster three ways. We just finished corn and lobster soup and Chardonnay. Next are whole lobsters just plain ol' dipped in melted butter, with Champagne. My husband is boiling them even as we speak. Finally, we're having risotto with lobster and black truffles, using the last morsels and juice of the summer truffles I bought, and Pinot Noir. None of this food is photogenic, so no photos tonight.

Jen, nice looking baby bok choy! The recipe I used for tonight's dinner called for baby bok choy, but all I could find was the regular, and so I improvised.

We had Miso Roasted Duck with Cherry Glazed Bok Choy, a recipe from the Food Network web site. The duck was really good, but I didn't like the preparation of bok choy. It wasn't that it was mature bok choy rather than baby... it was just disappointing flavors. The edamame and beer before dinner was great, and so was the Echelon Pinot Noir with it!