• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

And...the really, really good news is that the new stove arrived this morning.

yay! so pleased for you. no more danger of electrocuting yourself with the knife stuck into the old one!

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I made Paella for 20 relatives at a family reunion. Turned out pretty good despite the cooking conditions in my grandmother's kitchen. Geeze, sharpen a freakin knife, will ya? :wacko:

i11708.jpg

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Had friends over after a day of winetasting in the Santa Cruz Mountains (No Cal)- David Bruce, Burrell School and Bonny Doon.

Two different crostini:

Roasted red peppers with thyme and lemon

Arugual butter with thin slices of bresaola on top

Fresh corn and okra soup

Herb Salad Pizza

&

Margarite Pizza (tomato, basil and mozzarella)

Rosemary Syrup-Soaked Cornmeal Cake with black and blue berries and whipped cream

Had Mojitos to start (to revive are wine soaked taste buds)

then

a Fetzer dry Rose (Valley Oaks; Vin Gris de Pinot Noir) 2002

Dessert was inspired by Abra's recent foodblog (even used her presentation method re: wedges of cake w/berries in between and whipped cream in the middle). I'll definately make this again.

The herb salad pizza was excellent! -- recipe from Joanne Weir's book, "From Tapas to Meze". She says they used to make it at Chez Panisse when she was there. Pizza has garlic oil and mix of mozzarella and fontina cheeses--bake. When it comes out, immediately top with herb salad (parsley, basil, chives, mint) tossed in a lemon-garlic vinagrette; then top with shavings of parmagiano or pecorino.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I just killed 1 1/2 hours looking thru this thread at all the pictures of food (I didn't get thru all the 230+ pages) and it looks like there's enough to make an eGullet cookbook!

Frank in Austin

Herb-basted roasted chicken breasts with bone and skin on, Yukon Gold potatoes and mushrooms alongside, basted with the same stuff.  From allrecipes.

How did it turn out? What was the baste?

It was great, thanks for asking! I used this recipe:

http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/ChcknBrstsHrbBstngSce.asp

But I changed it. I forgot to add the hot pepper sauce (I always forget something) and since I wanted to roast the potatoes and mushrooms alongside, I added 1/4 cup butter to the basting sauce so that I would have enough for everything. And because I tend to be a little naughty with the butter. :wub: I also only cooked 2 chicken breasts. I have been working on seasoning my cast iron skillet so I put the chicken in there and surrounded it with the 2 potatoes and pound of mushrooms.

TONIGHT I made a really weird recipe. I used "Cookin' with Google" and typed in ground beef and green pepper and came up with Asian Ground Beef and Pepper Saute. It tasted like a slightly more exotic version of my mom's "American Chop Suey." I was rather proud of myself as I used Thai Red Curry Paste for the first time; I had been afraid to try it. It was good and not too hot for me! :biggrin:

Rachel Sincere

(from amanda hesser's cooking for mr. latte)

Not hating, just amazed. I've never seen La Hesser's Latte book cited for a recipe before.

Wow. Look at that.

I hope that she sees it next time she cartwheels through eG. Warming the cockles, etc.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Spicy, tart chickpeas and greens with plenty of cumin and amchoor

Raita

Coriander leaves

accompanied by soda water and a really nice lime-and-lemongrass cordial I found recently. (This combination is good with booze, too.)

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

Sauteed mixed mushrooms in a red wine/demi glace sauce over polenta topped with parmesan cheese and parsley.

Fresh homemade French Bread (still warm) with Petit Robert triple creme cheese.

I was craving warm yummy carbs today! :wub:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Liverwurst, soy nut butter, onion, and mustard on a cinnamon raisin flax seed roll.

Nullo, I loves ya, I applaud your dietary goals, but this dinner...frightens me. :biggrin:

That said, I ate a salad and some cold london broil. Bring on the soy nut butter!

accompanied by soda water and a really nice lime-and-lemongrass cordial I found recently.

What is this cordial of which you speak?

First week of the semester, no time. Only notable dinner was Sunday, kind of a multiethnic romp:

-grilled butterflied leg of lamb which I'd let sit in a paste of garlic, EEOV, rosemary and oregano for a few hours.

-grilled pitas

-cucumber yogurt raita

- potatoes that were first boiled, then cubed and fried with cumin, mustard and sesame seeds

-Caipirinhas while cooking. Beer with food.

Liverwurst, soy nut butter, onion, and mustard on a cinnamon raisin flax seed roll.

Nullo, I loves ya, I applaud your dietary goals, but this dinner...frightens me. :biggrin:

That said, I ate a salad and some cold london broil. Bring on the soy nut butter!

Lol. Well, today was a full day of inservice setting up my classroom, district meetings, then band camp parent exhibition night, so, I was pretty darn tired, and after reading the liverwurst and peanut butter sandwhich threads, convergence lights popped into my head combined with what was on hand...

Actually, it was pretty tasty, even if it does sound a bit odd ;).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

It is late August. A (at least this one) woman's fancy turns to sweet corn and tomatoes and green beans and grilled zucchini. I humor my family by cooking some sort of meat (since I have about 50 lbs. of venison dogs and brats and another 10 lbs. of chuck eye steaks in the freezer, that would be the addition).

Yes, every night, it is the litany from Paul, Diana and Peter (Heidi, too, if she were verbal). Corn and tomatoes again? Can't we have somethig else?

Meantime, I'm in heaven. The corn is picked about 2 hours ahead of cooking; the tomatoes heirloom (Brandywine); the green beans thinner than a pencil; and the zucchini nice, young and slim.

Colon cleansing, I remind my family.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm always amazed to read this thread and think..."Oh yeah, we ate that recently, too!". Must be some kind of seasonal brain thing...hours of sunlight drop past X and we all start loading potatoes into our grocery carts, or something.

We had...yellow rice, green mixed salad, palely pink shrimps and squid with green beans, flavored with shreds of lemon and ginger.

This received a rave review from my husband, to my surprise, as the hasty preparation was rather too evident in the squid dish. Son2 was less easily fooled...but then he hates squid anyway.

got home late from visiting a poorly friend and the cupboard was bare apart from the shrimps I'd intended to have for lunch but had forgotten. So, raid the fridge and voila - shrimps tossed with pineapple, celery, soy, chilli flakes, coriander, lime juice. Not bad at all! And I've discovered, if you slice celery thinly enough, you can hardly tell it's limp...

piece of indifferent supermarket Parmesan to finish.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Maiden voyage for the new stove. Used the convection oven to make roast chicken with garlic/rosemary, yukon gold potatoes, sausage and red peppers. A side of quickly sauteed sugar snap peas. The oven made the chicken skin very crisp, but I didn't see any noticeable decrease in cooking time. Have to fool around w/this convection business some more.

Chicken chili topped with cheddar/jack cheese and chopped white onions, served with jalapeno corn bread and cranberry/raspberry juice. Love this autumn weather preview!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

New spuds/peeled schallots/baby tomatoes/and a chunky cut courgette tossed in some EVOO. a rasher of smoked bacon sprinkled over all. black pepper/rosmary/bay added then folded in foil. cooked for an hour and opened for the last ten minutes.

Seedless grapes to follow.

My new oven thermometer shows me that the oven is spot on. Now what do i do with it? : :unsure:

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Inspired by Laska's wonderful blog, I made a variation on his pepper crusted steak. It was literally heart stopping!! :biggrin:

The steak is resting on a bed of crimini mushrooms that were sauteed in lots of butter and finished with a little whiskey.

Accompanied by a fresh, chopped asparagus salad and lots of red wine. Those peppercorns make you thirsty!!!

i11819.jpg