• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

I'm glad you're back, pcarpen.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

monday: hearts of palm with proscuitto di parma and shaved parmesan

109-0956_IMG.JPG

white beans with lemon, green onion, lemon, and thyme

109-0959_IMG.JPG

grilled squid with mint and parsley pesto

109-0963_IMG.JPG

Wow.

Perfect for spring.

Pcarpen: Was the squid stuffed?

Last night, I ate a tiny (4oz) sushi-grade tuna steak tossed in a marinade of sesame oil, wasabi powder, rice vinegar, mirin, soy, and Korean chili powder. A pocket was made, and watercress sprigs, drenched in the leftover marinade, were stuffed inside. Grilled the packet crusty and rare. Ate with the rest of the watercress.

behold Tuesday night dinner: 

broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts

i thought these were pure evil?

They are.

But Soba's sins are better than most people's virtues.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Chinese white rice mixed with Korean short grain brown sweet rice.

Dai gai choy and mushrooms in a kimchi broth with coriander.

Salad of tofu noodles with black beans and slow roasted plum tomatoes infused with lemongrass.

Steamed yu choy, bok choy and gai lan.

i5742.jpg

Tsukemono of daikon with lime.

Tuesday:

Tuna casserole. Albacore, bechamel made with half and half, chopped dill, macaroni, s & p. Topped with buttered panko and baked until bubbly. By far the best tuna casserole I've ever had. :wink: My kids scarfed this in amazing quantities.

Steamed broccoli.

Ice cream cones.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Thought I would try the imagegullet service. Unusual spelling of succesful.

i5757.jpg

I tried the low temperature method for leg of spring lamb. 6 hours at 65C, in a covered pot with carrots, onions, rosemary, thyme, star anise and water. The leg was browned a bit first with olive oil in the hot pan, with a blow torch helping. Then deglazed with white wine. It over cooked slightly, but it is still very good with this method. I'll try again with more use of my temperature probe. It looks a bit greyer than it was actually.

The sauce was reduced down with a small fecule of arrowroot, balsamic and butter.

That is a small quennelle of borlotti beans, dried tomato and lemon oil on top.

club sandwiches with Plath's bacon, and turkey left over from the grilled turkey on Sunday. On store bought white bread, like God intended club sandwiches to be eaten on.

with chips and dip.

Arnold Palmer's to drink.

I love spring.

the kids have been begging, so Weds dinner for my 5 plus 2 kids:

Japanese curry rice

with Japanese rice and pickles on the side

ice cream for dessert

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

cheese puffs.

not lovely warm from the oven sharp gruyere and buttery puff pastry...these were some kind of low fat yellow spray cheese thing. i'm cheetos fan despite it's status as a "food thing" or "food product" or whatever other scary thing. these aren't good enough to qualify as imitation cheetos...these were a disgrace. i was too tired to care though. i still feel cheated. i want that dinner back!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Pcarpen - Wow, that whole dinner looked positively amazing... and sounds even better.

Steve Martin - That arrangement of lamb and potatoes is positively phallic... but very tasty looking.

Dinner Tonight (Wednesday) -

Bok Choy sauteed in butter and garlic (with a dash of kosher salt and pepper, simple, and positively delicous to me).

And I broke in my brand new cast iron (first one ever) pan - Top sirloin, again simply prepared with a little kosher salt, black pepper, EVOO, and cardamom. Seared on the outside and red and juicy on the inside.... I am in love with this pan already....

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Jin,

what is the daikon seasoned with?

Kristin, simply: juice and zest of two large limes, ngoc mam, touch of mirin, salt and pepper, marinate in this for about ten hours, turning occasionally. Very refreshing and crunchy.

Poulet a la Perleaux with Cajun-Style sauce, Dirty Rice and Sauteed Greens.

i5776.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Lookin' good, folks.

Tonight for dinner I made Kraft Mac and Cheese. Now I am going to eat a Russel Stover Vanilla Cream Egg. :blink:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Spaghetti squash, previously baked and saved in the fridge, now fluffed and removed from rind and sauteed quickly with butter, garlic, and salt.

Frittata containing caramelized onions and braised cabbage. You might think that cabbage would be awfully weird in a frittata, but in fact it is very tasty.

Green salad dressed in vinaigrette containing minced preserved lemon.

The salad was cool, the frittata room temperature, and the squash hot.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

redfox, cabbage frittata is wonderful. Especially with onion.

Another quick meal tonight - but I still had time to snap a photo. Pan fried salmon filet atop penne with fresh pesto. Arugula salad with red wine vinaigrette. The meal was so-so. The pesto was good, but the meal felt uninspired. I was cooking for one tonight, which always takes the inspiration out of me. :wink:

pestosalmon.jpg

The close-up shot shows much nicer than the [more realistic looking] full plate shot. :hmmm:

-edited to correct pasta type :rolleyes:

Edited by markf424 (log)

Hey Majra - welcome to eGullet!

I haven't posted dinner in a few days but got back to my pizza experiments. The crust is a variation of the Alton brown recipe. I use half extra fine durum flour, half bread machine flour, a small bit of added gluten, a spoon of honey and sea salt and a larger than average amount of olive oil, followed by minimal kneading and 24 hours in the fridge. It just keeps getting better as I tweak it.

This one had caramelized onions and thin sliced sweet peppers with a bit of fontina, some fresh mozzarella, plenty of basil leaves and cured chorizo slices. Mmmmm - really tasty. I tried to get Barilla Marinara sauce as I was too busy to make a basic sauce but all they had on sale was Paul Newman's - color me very unimpressed by the Newman sauce - Barilla blows it away.

i5778.jpg

Tonight was a mixed green salad with a sprinkling of mixed sprouts, sliced toasted almonds, navel orange chunks and a dressing of pomegranete juice, fresh OJ, a splash of red apple cide vinegar and a small bit of EVOO and Dijon. Roasted cauliflower 'cause my friend had never tried it - she was amazed. Then... hard to believe but it's the first time I have ever made it - pesto served on thick spaghetti.

i5779.jpg

i5777.jpg

Fettuccine w/ fresh asparagus in a bechamel sauce

roasted garlic with butter on french bread

A nice green salad that would have gone beautifully with the meal but I forgot it

and left it in the fridge :angry:

Sliced oranges and apples for dessert.

Juice for the kid's and a Mcsorley's for the cook.

Melissa

Ziti with olive oil, garlic, shallots, red pepper flakes, strips of Roma tomato, capers, artichoke hearts, green olives stuffed with feta, rosemary and tuna.

I got home from work to find my wife's car in the driveway with the hood up. Tax refund on the dining room table. Is this gonna cost, or what? And how lucky to have a few bucks if it does. But I think the new battery that she actually paid for might have done the trick.

Bought The Whole Beast by Fergus Henderson last night, and had a package of nice marrow bones in my hand at work today, but can't pull the trigger on that one yet. Anybody ever cold-bloodedly eat marrow, and is it as fabulous as we're led on?