• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zucchini and octopus stock

seabream

I'm looking for ideas to cook with the following:

* 1 cup zucchini stock/juice. I made zucchini strands, salted them, and squeezed them. I was left with about 1 cup of perfectly salted zucchini juice. So good!

* 1 cup octopus stock. I cooked octopus in its own juices with lemon peel, Thai chilies, cilantro stems and garlic. I was left with about 1 cup of intensely flavored octopus stock.

It would be a shame to throw these wonderfully and naturally flavored liquids away, so I'm looking for ideas to use them. I thought about making risotto, but I typically use 3 cups or so of stock to make 1 cup of risotto. I would rather not dilute the stocks I have. I guess I could add chicken stock to complete the 3 cups...

Also, my husband is not into soups or stews with too much liquid.

I'm thinking that such small amounts of stock may be good to make a sauce, or maybe a foam?

Anyway, would love to hear your ideas!

Edited by seabream (log)

Zucchini water: I fear any cooking will lose the delicacy. Understand husband does not care for stews but what about a gazpacho style prep. This blog from member hathor is a creative starting ground.

Octopus stock: what about scaling down your risotto or undercooking some pasta, letting it finish in a slow simmer to absorb the stock and then finishing as you like. I would favor some sort of allium sauted in olive oil with fresh herbs and a few shrimp or squid rings.

Personally I would not add chicken stock. I think it would dull the delicate/unique flavors you have.

Thank you everyone for all the fantastic ideas!

I just wanted to let everyone know what I ended up making with these liquids:

Octopus juice:

I cooked finely chopped onions and garlic in olive oil, then deglazed with white wine, then added tomato paste and chopped tomatoes.

I undercooked some store-bought bucatini, and finished cooking it in the sauce.

I finished it with lots of fresh Genevose basil leaves.

Oh boy! So good! The octopus flavor in the pasta was really intense, and the thick bucatini soaked it up very nicely. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I will definitely make this one again. Next time I am planning to add the actual octopus chunks to the pasta.

Zucchini water:

I made a yellow gazpacho. Used yellow heirloom tomatoes, zucchini water (which was intensely green), green pepper, onion, garlic, vinegar, salt and sugar.

I decided to make it yellow (as opposed to the traditional red) because my zucchini water was so green. I was afraid that adding red tomatoes to it would result in brownish soup.

The gazpacho was fantastic, but the zucchini flavor was subtle.

Best of all, husband loved it!

Anyway, I often end up with these two kinds of juice (which I've thrown away in the past), so I will have a chance to try the other ideas suggested here.

Thank you so much for your replies!