• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to score stale bread?

jrshaul

I make a lot of bread puddings. They're simple, they're easy, they taste great, and I can crank them out in autopilot mode. They're technically cheaper than a lux-brand "Thank You" card.

Problem is, I seem to run out of stale bread before I run out of need for puddings. I don't eat a lot of bread, and the cheap Italian from the supermarket decomposes in custard like so much toilet tissue. While I do have a curiously successful recipe with stale hot dog buns, I need some more of the good stuff.

Is there a way I can finagle stale loaves from bakers without being rude? I'm on a student budget, so price is paramount.

Sure thing. Go to a local baker and ask. They don't think it's rude, they know that some things require day old bread and they see it as a way to make a couple bucks from something they would throw out.

Unless you want to become a freevegan and dumpster dive :cool:

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

What's an acceptable price for stales? $1 for a big baguette?

Unless you want to become a freevegan and dumpster dive :cool:

The only reason freevegans do not terrify me is that they're liable to perish before causing any serious headaches.

Edited by jrshaul (log)

Stale bread isn't actually all that great for bread & butter pudding. Staling is just crystallization of the bread which locks up moisture and makes it seem dry. Heat it up and all the moisture comes back out (put a slice of stale bread in the microwave). Instead, it's generally better to use bread that's dried in the oven as the moisture is actually driven out. You can use both fresh and stale bread for this so by all means still get stale bread if it's more economical but don't think it's neccesary to the recipe.

PS: I am a guy.

Here's an idea that may work for you. You could try making bread using the "Artisan bread in 5" method. I find that using that recipe it costs me right at $1 a loaf. Then you could cube the bread up and "stale" it in a 200 degree oven for 15 minutes and you are set. If actual stale bread works better for you let it sit over night. You can find the artisan bread in 5 recipe on the net with a quick search or you could check it out from your library.

Good luck and great idea on the bread puddings!

America's Test Kitchen has an excellent tutorial in preparing bread for bread pudding.

I began toasting bread (usually homemade) for pudding many years ago. I started by toasting the slices and breaking them roughly but later began cutting them into large cubes similar to the method in ATK's instructions.

As an option, I also still toast BUTTERED bread until browned, (salted butter) then chopping it into largish pieces and adding the custard mixture to the toast, allowing it to soak for 20 minutes and then into the oven. I cover it with the non-stick foil and put pie weights on the foil to keep the bread from floating.

I remove the foil when there is still 20 minutes on the timer, so the top will brown slightly.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for the tip on stale bread. I might buy "semi-stale" day-olds and bake them as suggested before making the pudding, as they're more likely to be what I receive anyway and it means I can lose the bin 'o bread on top of my fridge.

I cover it with the non-stick foil and put pie weights on the foil to keep the bread from floating.

I remove the foil when there is still 20 minutes on the timer, so the top will brown slightly.

I've been having problems with the top singing, though I had attributed that to the Oven of Doom. I'll try this next time.