• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shaoxing wine: version with no salt?

rotuts

the only Shaoxing wine Ive see is sold in chinese grocery stores and for that reason has a lot of salt in it. Is there a version sold in liquor store without the salt?

Why add extra salt if you dont have to?

The reason for the salt is regulatory, there's an exemption for cooking wine that allows it to be sold in grocery stores if it has salt in it.

The good stuff is in the liquor stores. Since you're in Boston, they carry several decent brands of drinking-quality unsalted shaoxing at Truong Thanh (I have to buy my Shaoxing in MA, since the NH Liquor people don't seem to approve any shaoxing for retail sale). Pagoda is the one I prefer for cooking.

As an aside, it can be hard to find some of the stuff at Truong Thanh, but when confused I've just shown them a picture of what I was looking for.

As with anything else, you get what you pay for.

Here in China, where they certainly don't salt the stuff, prices vary widely depending on quality. Lower end cooking quality is very cheap (around $1 US for 500 ml), but prices rise dramatically at the intended-for-drinking end.

I usually buy something around $4. I never drink the stuff.

I'm guessing, but I don't know, that stuff imported to the US to be sold in licenced liquor places will display similar price differences.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 10 years later...
On 5/31/2012 at 1:14 PM, weinoo said:

No. I don't believe I've ever spent close to $10.

I know this is really old, but can you give me the name of the places you get your unsalted shaoxing?  I'm almost at the end of my bottle, and I'm so sick of using the salted stuff - it makes it so much more difficult to season properly!

When I go into the liquor store in Chinatown in NYC the guy tells me the stuff that’s only for cooking (but no salt) is around 6.50, the cheapest stuff to drink is maybe 8.50 or so. I’m an 8.50 kind of guy, I don’t drink the stuff either

53 Mott street. They’re really friendly, they’ll steer you right

Mark's Wine & Spirits Inc.
(212) 962-1993
https://maps.app.goo.gl/tzMRjdNtoGhi7z9HA?g_st=ic

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, KennethT said:

I know this is really old, but can you give me the name of the places you get your unsalted shaoxing?  I'm almost at the end of my bottle, and I'm so sick of using the salted stuff - it makes it so much more difficult to season properly!

1 hour ago, Rickbern said:

When I go into the liquor store in Chinatown in NYC the guy tells me the stuff that’s only for cooking (but no salt) is around 6.50, the cheapest stuff to drink is maybe 8.50 or so. I’m an 8.50 kind of guy, I don’t drink the stuff either

53 Mott street. They’re really friendly, they’ll steer you right

Mark's Wine & Spirits Inc.
(212) 962-1993
https://maps.app.goo.gl/tzMRjdNtoGhi7z9HA?g_st=ic

Sounds about the same as the liquor store I go to at 273 Grand.  Has anywhere from a dozen to 20 different bottles of Shaoxing drinking wines.

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@Rickbern 

I just can say.your confession 

is admirable.

Ill just

suggest this :

for some time , very early on 

N.American books , 

the real deal books , then and now

suggested Sherry as a sub for Shaoxing.

new to me

if no Sherry , try Shaoxing 

Im out of Sherry

an still have that

Shaoxing 1

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, rotuts said:

for some time , very early on 

N.American books , 

the real deal books , then and now

suggested Sherry as a sub for Shaoxing.

I remember it often (from my older NA books) being referred to as "pale, dry sherry."

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?