• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thinking about citric acid in cocktails

Fat Guy

I'm in possession of more citric acid than I'll ever use. I only needed a few teaspoons but the brutal economics of Kalustyan's has my kitchen looking like basically like a meth lab. Anyway, I've been thinking about what else I can use the citric acid for. I have a few ideas, and there are a couple of past topics, but I was wondering if anyone has experimented with using citric acid in cocktail making.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm in possession of more citric acid than I'll ever use. I only needed a few teaspoons but the brutal economics of Kalustyan's has my kitchen looking like basically like a meth lab. Anyway, I've been thinking about what else I can use the citric acid for. I have a few ideas, and there are a couple of past topics, but I was wondering if anyone has experimented with using citric acid in cocktail making.

i've used it in the past to make dry vermouth as tart as a lemon. certain abandoned brands like gallo have barely any botanicals and just taste like elder flower-muscat. if you need to make tart drinks for large amounts of people, it works out pretty well.

but most of the time i prize the sensory quality of my acid providing citrus above that of my spirits.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Steven, my recipes for lime and lemon cordial in RecipeGullet both call for citric acid powder, as well as a bit of tartartic acid. The upside is the cordial keeps really well refrigerated once made and I think I recall that you do enjoy a good gimlet. Just a thought...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I find it more convenient than lemons to add a bit of brightness to a dish at the end of cooking. At that concentration, I can't distinguish a difference between citric acid and lemons but with quantities of more than a tablespoon, I'd rather just use fresh lemon juice for it's rounder and more complex flavor. Citric acid shouldn't cost more than 2 or 3 bucks a pound so I don't feel too bad about not using it up completely.

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

I often add citric acid to mixed drinks (can't really call my random experiments 'cocktails'), and I particularly like the way it balances out sweeter combinations of ingredients, where added citrus might be out of place (e.g. when I want another fruit flavour to remain dominant). Alcohol seems to slow the rate at which citric acid dissolves, which I like, since you get these little sparks of intense sourness.

Can't you get little bags of citric acid in supermarkets, or is that just an EU thing?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I would be very interested in this. I tried using it with sweet vermouth to retain the flavor (no added citrus notes) but adjust the cloying sweetness. It was not successful, but perhaps I didn't try hard enough. Does anyone have a great recipe that shows of citric acid in a context where lemon or lime would not work as well or better?

Side note: I was thinking of this as a sweet/sour vermouth, in contrast to dry vermouth which has minimal sugar and fairly minimal (at least compared to citrus) acidity. In the context of a 5:1 Martini, this is my definition of a "dry" cocktail -- neither sweet nor sour. Contrast this to say a Margarita which is balanced just so that it seems equally sweet and sour. I would not call this dry, but sweet/sour. And if it had more lime, I would call it sour, rather than dry.

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community