• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Other Uses for Food Items

Shel_B

In another thread it was suggested that dried Cherimoya seeds can be used as a roach repellant. Toots and I have used cinnamon powder to stop ants from invading. She also puts coffee grounds into her garden. And vinegar can be used to make a window cleaner.

What uses for food items have you tried (other than eating and cooking), and what were the results?

... Shel

I've been using yogurt with rolled oats (crushed to powder) for a facial scrub for decades and everyone says my skin tone is exceptional for my age. If I have a bit of a rash from wind exposure, I use honey and yogurt as a facial mask.

I use diluted white vinegar as a disinfectant, corn meal to get rid of unwanted ant colonies in the garden (a non-toxic approach).

There are numerous uses for food items for household tasks.

Cornstarch will lift moisture out of carpets, also oil and grease.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Extra virgin olive oil or almond oil for dry skin, especially if your skin is sensitive to fragrances and chemicals. Takes a little longer to absorb than skin lotion, so for the first 10 mins or so, careful not to touch anything that you don't want greasy.

Extra virgin olive oil or almond oil for dry skin, especially if your skin is sensitive to fragrances and chemicals. Takes a little longer to absorb than skin lotion, so for the first 10 mins or so, careful not to touch anything that you don't want greasy.

I've been using argan oil on my face and neck for the past six months or so and have noticed improvement in the lines around my eyes and corners of my mouth.

One of the ladies who does facials at my hair salon advised me to hold a warm, wet cloth on my face for several minutes and then apply the oil and that makes it easier to apply and spread evenly.

I also use it for food - it's food grade from ChefShop - so for cosmetic purposes I transfer some to a small bottle with an eyedropper as a little goes a long way.

I've been adding a bit to my breakfast yogurt also as it has been touted as having significant antioxidant properties and I did ask my internist before using it.

I don't know if it is the effect of this oil or other (minor) dietary changes but my cholesterol (never very high) dropped 23 points since last tested a year ago (was 184, now 161) and I'm still eating butter, yogurt made with whole milk or half&half and bacon, etc., etc...

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've found that crushed mint springs at the doorways and windows work better than hot pepper powder for deterring ants; salt and beer are both effective against slugs, and a little olive oil goes a long way to silencing squeaky hinges.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Toothpaste isn't technically a kitchen ingredient, but if you need an extremely mild abrasive it works very well. I've used it to buff minor scratches out of various plastic items on multiple occasions. Works great on copper, too.

^^Speaking of copper...lemons and salt for cleaning copper pots.

edited to clarify

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver