• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are Riblets?

Shel_B

There's a recipe that I'd like to make, a pork ragu, which calls for riblets: "Get three pounds of ribs and cut them into riblets," it says. I checked on line and the results seem to indicate a lot of wasted ribs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riblets So, what are riblets? Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Hhmmm - at the Chinese market the ribs are cross-cut into 2 to 3 inch pieces unless you indicate otherwise to the butcher. Perhaps in your recipe that is a way to get more flavor out of the bone to flavor the sauce.

Also known as featherbones in the mid-west, it is the out croppings of the spine. I think it is called the transverse process of the spine and are usually pork here in nebraska.

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

More info for pork riblets ..item and product information is # 424 NAMP guide.

I get mine from Farmland and they come in 10# boxes. I love em!! Good for spaghetti sauces and bbq's. People here make a Swamp water braise too!!

Paul

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

The riblets (or sometimes labeled 'rib tips') I've been buying are pork and quite cheap. I've been buying these at my local grocery for around $1 to $1.50/lb. A package will usually contain a considerable variety of cuts. Some (the good ones) will have a thick layer of fat on one end and will taper off towards the other end. Other pieces will be more like strips of randomly selected pork meat (sometimes even without the bone-lets).

I don't think they're proper pieces of rib since they don't resemble anything I've seen when breaking down a whole sparerib. So Paul is probably correct in that it's probably some nearby trimming. By the looks of the end of the bones, it looks like a bandsaw is involved. Also, there are the occasional bone fragments, so watch out for those if you're shredding.

Interestingly, a WalMart about a mile away sells riblets that are similar in nature, but immaculately chosen for consistancy and fastidiously arranged in their packaging - but for a price that rivals that of the best pork cuts.