• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Scallops - Salting the pan ?

Paul Bacino

I had some nice sea scallops last night, sorry no pic's.

I was usually in the camp of really hot cast iron skillet, add cooking oil, what you prefer . Grapeseed, Clarified butter, Evoo what ever.

So last night , I got the cast iron skillet hot, dried my scallop or they had been air drying, but this time.. I salted the pan first then threw the scallops in dry, cooked 2-3 mins. added a bit of oil now flipped, then added a nob of butter, to finish about 1 min toss to coat, then add pepper if you wish.

I got a real nice color on them and was very tasty and easy

I remember growing up and my mom used to cook our steaks that way, salting the pan. Weird ?

Its good to have Morels

Its a visual thing on salting the pan...I'd say on a 12" cast iron pan.. I'm thinking 1/8-1/4 t spoon with a full pan of scallops. Maybe

It will be the same amount you would top season you protein, , cuz by the time you add the butter ( un salted btw ) it will all be incorporated.. in the finished scallops..

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels