• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Kidney

Brasshopper

I like a serving of beef kidneys from time to time. I usually slice them about 1/2", dust them in pepper and flour, cook them, and then make some gravy in the flour dusting, and serve them.

To get them thoroughly cooked, I find that I have made them tough - the flavor is fine, but they are toughened from the cooking.

So I am thinking sous vide. 180F, 4-5 hours, with the flour (wondra so that it does not lump) and also some onion and, well, herbs...it has been a few years.

Does anyone have any suggestions or a favorite recipe, sous vide or not, that they want to point me to?

What I want is thorough cooking, flavor, and good texture...

SousVideOrNotSousVide - Seller of fine Artificial Ingredients such as Lactisole through Amazon.Com....

this is very interesting to me

kidney " meat " meaning the parenchyma is not tough at all.

what is tough is the thin capsule that surounds the kidney and the collecting system

both of those you need to remove.

then SV them "rare" ie 131 and tell us what your think!