• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rare Meats: Beef/Pork vs Turkey/Chicken

rotuts

Ive been wondering this for some time:

I now do SV. I love rare (tender) beef and pork. I used to grill pork on a very high heat to just give the outside flavor then cool and slice very thin for a sandwich. as delicious as anything around.

didnt take them temp of the core of this meat, and never kept it.

perhaps in the NYTimes there was a discussion of the perfect Burger. a serious treat.

there was Dan B then the folks at MC. id didnt know before hand but now it makes a lot of sense to me that a ground pork 'burger' would be tough (see the article) based on biochemistry of pork vs beef

sooooooooooooooo

why isnt 'rare' <130 SV turkey or chicken as 'tasty' are rare beef?

is there a biochem. explanation re the protein complex?

thanks

First of all, burgers are different from steaks or chops. Each cut has its own challenges. That article you refer to mentions the collagen in a burger, but that sort of collagen isn't present in every cut of beef. And, those guidelines certainly don't just transfer over to every cut of pork.

There's a lot more going on than just protein. If it were as simple as you are asking (I am reading you as saying chicken should equal pork, why doesn't it taste the same?) then most people would be happy with tofu or wheat gluten, which are also proteins. It's about the other flavor components, and, about your culturally conditioned palate. I have seen rare chicken served to great admiration in Japan.

there was Dan B then the folks at MC. id didnt know before hand but now it makes a lot of sense to me that a ground pork 'burger' would be tough (see the article) based on biochemistry of pork vs beef

You can modify the properties of the product to change this. Create a pork patty using the recommended sausage mix of 70% meat to 30% fat and you'll get a much more tender variant.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog