• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Stuff We Don't Really Need

weinoo

So I saw an ad today for what are called "coffee joulies."

First:

they absorb energy from your coffee when it is too hot

then:

they release that stored energy back into your coffee

Really?! First, my coffee is never too hot nor am I in that big a rush to drink it. Second, I finish it before it's too cold.

What will they think of next? Wait - show me what they've already thought of and you (possilby) bought.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

So I saw an ad today for what are called "coffee joulies."

To be honest, when I first saw these I was considering a purchase.....on the golf course, going back and forth to meetings, etc., my coffee gets colder faster than I'd like. And I drink my home-roast out of my thermos throughout the day. BUT the number of these things you have to add per x-number of ounces and the space they require make them a ridiculous novelty, IMHO.

Now as far as other kitchen items go...should I just start a spreadsheet of all of the cutesy Bed Bath and Beyond gadgetry we got as wedding gifts? :laugh: There ARE worse things out there than the Slap-Chop!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I'd like to nominate the banana saver. If I'm taking bananas somewhere, I'll never take just one, even if it's for lunch. Besides which, I kind of like the kind of bananas I eat (usually a pink-fleshed type called Limes) when they're a little bruised and smooshed - it makes them sweeter.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I agree about the banana keepers - never actually tried to put a banana in one but I have a hard time believing one size fits all shapes and sizes of the fruit. Ditto the hard shell tomato and pepper and onion holders.

Marketing is a wonderful thing and pretty colours I guess sell but they are ridiculous.

Llyn Strelau

Calgary, Alberta

Canada

I'd like to nominate the banana saver. If I'm taking bananas somewhere, I'll never take just one, even if it's for lunch. Besides which, I kind of like the kind of bananas I eat (usually a pink-fleshed type called Limes) when they're a little bruised and smooshed - it makes them sweeter.

Apparently, there are quite a few of these (fill in the blank) savers. I remember seeing one for onion, one for avocado, etc. Aren't they really just a container? I don't need them in funny shapes.

Apparently, there are quite a few of these (fill in the blank) savers. I remember seeing one for onion, one for avocado, etc. Aren't they really just a container? I don't need them in funny shapes.

Paint me silly but I love my onion keeper and my lemon keeper - they are so easy to spot in the fridge! And yes any container would work but these stand out.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I cleaned out my cabinets today.. I threw out 10 plastic pitchers, a bloomin onion maker and numerous other items.

I also discovered a fugly gold plated 11 piece silverware set I dont recall buying. ugh.

I also had to toss half of a Salton popcorn popper (the rest was not found) and the "push guards" of an also missing deli slicer.

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

The bloomin' onion cutter went away last week along with the steamer plate that I have never used.

I do love my little garlic pot that sits on the counter. The garlic keeps very well in it.