• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking from Rick Bayless's "Mexican Kitchen"

BadRabbit

I just got this book yesterday for my birthday and was wondering if anyone has done much cooking from it.

I've read a good bit of the narrative and instruction and looked over lots of recipes. My first impression is that the recipes look a little less involved than the recipes in his other book I have.

What have you cooked from this book and what were your impressions of the recipes?

I borrowed it from the library and have been making the Chile-Seasoned Pot-Roasted Pork (p 378) ever since. It's easy, and it doesn't need anything special outside of some dried chiles. Make sure you serve it with plenty of brightly-flavored condiments (cilantro, limes, pickles, etc)--a meal of slow-cooked pork with beans can feel awfully rich.

Here's the Amazon link, for those interested. This one has a free preview, if you want to skim through it.

Edited by emannths (log)

This cookbook's recipes are simpler than "Authentic Mexican". I love the poblano crema and the roasted poblano with mixed greens. I use the pickled red onions and the poblano rajas for quesadillas and tacos. The achiote pork makes great tacos. It's been about 10 years since I made a mole from this book at least without a lot of ad libbing. There's nothing wrong with the recipes but they were less exciting than the ones in his earlier cookbook but easier to make. The margarita recipes are solid.

Just looking through Bayless, seeing if I have actually made more than one or two of his recipes. Even if I make something from another source, I always check in Bayless to see what he says about making the dish. (I check Kennedy's The Art of Mexican Cooking too.) Just wish I could indulge endlessly and buy all their books. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have posted a few dishes from Rick Bayless' Mexican Kitchen on the Making Mexican at Home thread, starting at post #242 (click). Short verdict: we have been very happy with the cookbook. Mr. Bayless' flavors are spot-on as always, and I particularly appreciate the fact that making a big batch of sauce on the weekend can yield fairly quick weeknight meals.

BR, I've owned this book since it came out (yes, as a matter of fact I am a dinosaur :rolleyes: ) and I actually prefer it to Authentic Mexican. As good as Authentic Mexican is, I never warmed to it. But when I got my hands on Mexican Kitchen I connected easily with it. Go figure. I should qualify my comment by saying I own all of Rick's cookbooks (except for the one he did with his daughter) and this is by far my favorite of his. His recipes work and the flavor profiles are very good. It has been a while since I've actually cooked from it to any degree, but I recall the pork and fish dishes being very good and there is a recipe for chile glazed sweet potatoes that's good for adding some pizazz to Thanksgiving dinner

I've started cooking from this book too, and being a novice at Mexican cooking, I really appreciate the clear, detailed instructions and ingredient descriptions. Over the weekend I made my first batch of the Essential Simmered Guajillo Sauce (with my new Blendtec blender) and loved the flavors with grilled shrimp. The leftover sauce is destined for the Hearty Seven Seas Soup, a Mexican fish stew.

Over in my salt cod topic, I tried the Chiles Rellenos de Bacalao and thought they were excellent, the rich fish and the poblano peppers are made for each other.

I just used this book over the weekend. Cooked the salpicon (p 148) as well as the shredded chicken in tomato-chipotle sauce (p 34), both of which I enjoyed.

Got to say, this cookbook is one of my favorites. It’s amazing the flavors Bayless is capable of developing from recipes with so few ingredients. And, as with all Bayless books, he gives many simple variations for all his recipes.

I've noticed quite a few recipes call for piloncillo which I haven't seen anywhere lately. Is it worth tracking down or should I just use his suggested substitute of dark brown sugar (I always have Muscavado)?

If you want something outstandingly delicious try the Seared Lamb (or Pork) in Swarthy Pasilla-Honey Sauce. The combo of the rich dark sauce and the sweet potato is out of this world in my opinion.

I got the book when it was first published and this page is looking like a favorite recipe page complete with chile splatters.

I have made it with both lamb and pork and they are equally good.

Edited by BarbaraY (log)

Thanks for bringing this up, I just ordered a copy. I love reading my copy of Authentic Mexican, but I don't really cook from it. I make recipes from my French Laundry and Momofuku cookbooks from time to time, both very involved and complicated, but somehow Authentic Mexican still seems out of reach for me. I have a very good feeling about Mexican Kitchen......

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I've noticed quite a few recipes call for piloncillo which I haven't seen anywhere lately. Is it worth tracking down or should I just use his suggested substitute of dark brown sugar (I always have Muscavado)?

For the most part brown sugar is acceptable, though it will depend on the recipe.

However, when I lived in Bham, I used to be able to get piloncillo at Walmart. And there used to be a Mexican grocery on 31 just a few miles north of the mall. That was five years ago so I can't say it's still there, but I'm sure they'd sell it as well.

I just used this book over the weekend. Cooked the salpicon (p 148) as well as the shredded chicken in tomato-chipotle sauce (p 34), both of which I enjoyed.

Got to say, this cookbook is one of my favorites. It’s amazing the flavors Bayless is capable of developing from recipes with so few ingredients. And, as with all Bayless books, he gives many simple variations for all his recipes.

You might be giving Bayless a little too much credit.. all he is really doing is collecting basic recipes and translating them to English & U.S. measurements. Most of these flavor combinations have been created over an 8,000 year history :wink:

I really like this book because it actually does a good job of representing the way Mexicans think about cooking. In Mexico, there has traditionally been very little use for recipes... people learn some loose rules & techniques and apply them in many ways... its not anything Bayless invented though.. the is just how people in Mexico cook.

For example, when my parents make Guisado Ranchero (choice of protein & seasonal vegetables cooked with onions & jalapenos in a sauce of peeled tomatoes, Mex oregano, Thyme & garlic) the leftovers are typically used as followed:

Stales tortillas used to make Chilaquiles made with the leftover sauce.. topped with the leftover Protein, Vegetables, some Queso Fresco or Requeson (Ricotta), a little bit of Natas (Clotted Cream)... some Fried or Poached eggs if there isn't enough a protein.

If there isn't any Stale tortillas then they get a package of Fideos (Vermicelli) out of the cupboard... pan fry the pasta, add the sauce thinned with some broth... mix in the protein & vegetables, top with Queso Fresco / Requeson and Natas etc.,

If the weather is hot.. instead of making Chilquiles or Fideos with the leftover Guisado.. you make a Salpicon (chopped salad)... take the protein and chop or shred it.. toss with some spring onions, vegetables & marinade in lime juice. After an hour or so... it gets served over Orejona lettuce (the common type of lettuce grown & consumed in Mexico is like a cross between Romaine & Butter) which according to this site might be a variety of romaine called Parrish Island:

http://www.hydroenvironment.com.mx/catalogo/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=226

You don't feel like Chilaquiles, Fideos or Salpicon? Then maybe a Taquiza with a side of Sopa de Milpa... Taquiza is the term you use for homestyle tacos... reduce the leftover sauce to a very thick consistency.. add the protein and sweat it until warm... spoon the filling over fresh tortillas, add some avocado or queso fresco slices... and have it with a bowl of soup (Sopa de Milpa is a name for any variation of soup where the broth is made by simmering chopped tomatos, corn on the cob, whole onion & herbs with salted water, then add fresh vegetables from the milpa... squash, zucchini, wild greens, chiles whatever is available)

... on & on... from any particular sauce you can make a variety of dishes.... that is the premise of Mexican grassroots & cooking & Bayless approach on Mexican Kitchen.

With some leftover Guajillo sauce, I made the Hearty Seven Seas Soup (p. 341) tonight for dinner. So long as you've made the sauce in advance, everything else comes together very quickly and easily. Only the simmer of broth and sauce together takes any time, but it’s completely hands-off, so in the meantime you can prep other ingredients and still have plenty of time for a cocktail. During the last 10 minutes, toss in cubed potatoes, vegetables, and fish. Spoon into shallow bowls and top with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

DSCF0857.JPG

Can I say that this is the best weeknight dinner I’ve made in ages? The finished broth tastes deep and complex but is actually ridiculously simple. To EatNopale's point above, I improvised with the veggies I had on hand--the last of my summer corn from the freezer and some fresh spinach--and it came together beautifully. I am moving this one into company rotation. The next time I think of making a bouillabaise, I'm making this instead.

I made the Conchinita Pibil on Sunday and it was really good though I felt like it needed something. The pickled onions did gave it a really nice sour punch. Is pibil traditionally served with crema or salsa? It's not mentioned in the book.

Linda,

That looks really spectacular. I'll definitely try that out but do you think it's too heavy for the summer time? It's already 90 degrees here.

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

I made the Conchinita Pibil on Sunday and it was really good though I felt like it needed something. The pickled onions did gave it a really nice sour punch. Is pibil traditionally served with crema or salsa? It's not mentioned in the book.

Linda,

That looks really spectacular. I'll definitely try that out but do you think it's too heavy for the summer time? It's already 90 degrees here.

:shock:

Absolutely... no crema! Honestly, I don't think they even make Crema or consume Crema in the Yucatan. I could be wrong.. but I can't remember much Cheese or (other than Edam) being sold in the Mercados or the small town shops.

Cochinita Pibil seemed to always be served with Frijoles Colados (which do have their own creaminess & hearty flavor), Sour Orange pickled Onions, a thin Habanero sauce & awesome, heirloom corn tortillas.

A good Pibil doesn't need much... did you use heirloom Pork leg?

Linda,

It's not heavy at all, it's a brothy soup, not a stew. The broth is very flavorful but light-bodied. The potatoes add some weight, I suppose you could leave them out but I liked them. Other than that, the ingredients are fish, shellfish, and fresh vetegables. Unless you don't want to turn on the stove at all, I think it would be perfect for summer, a one-dish meal that's really special.

I did miss having some bread to sop up the extra broth. I didn't make tortillas. Next time.

:

Cochinita Pibil seemed to always be served with Frijoles Colados (which do have their own creaminess & hearty flavor), Sour Orange pickled Onions, a thin Habanero sauce & awesome, heirloom corn tortillas.

Fudge Family Farms is not too far from my home and produces some of the finest pork in the country so my pork shoulder was top notch.

I think the habanero sauce you mentioned is what was missing. As I said, Bayless doesn't mention any salsa in the book so I didn't make any. Is the traditional sauce a simmered sauce or is it raw?

Linda,

It's not heavy at all, it's a brothy soup, not a stew. The broth is very flavorful but light-bodied. The potatoes add some weight, I suppose you could leave them out but I liked them. Other than that, the ingredients are fish, shellfish, and fresh vetegables. Unless you don't want to turn on the stove at all, I think it would be perfect for summer, a one-dish meal that's really special.

I did miss having some bread to sop up the extra broth. I didn't make tortillas. Next time.

Great. I hadn't had time to look at the recipe but I remember the picture in the book looking spectacular. When I hear "hearty" I think "heavy" which is why I inquired about that.

:

Fudge Family Farms is not too far from my home and produces some of the finest pork in the country so my pork shoulder was top notch.

I think the habanero sauce you mentioned is what was missing. As I said, Bayless doesn't mention any salsa in the book so I didn't make any. Is the traditional sauce a simmered sauce or is it raw?

Easiest sauce in the world... put four raw habaneros in the blender, about 1/4 teaspoon of salt (add more as needed), start with half a cup of water (add a little more at a time)... pureee, taste & adjust. The sauce should be the thickness of pulpy orange juice

I haven't tasted the Fudge Family Farms pork but the pigs in the Yucatan have a strong / full "free range" flavor that is tamed a bit with the sour orange & achiote.. in California restaurants they talk up the Berkshire pigs alot but they are actually quite bland.

Finally, did you use banana leaves? Their flavor isn't strong enough to notice it... but I definitely notice something missing when I don't use them (kind of like Bay leaves in a soup).

:

Easiest sauce in the world... put four raw habaneros in the blender, about 1/4 teaspoon of salt (add more as needed), start with half a cup of water (add a little more at a time)... pureee, taste & adjust. The sauce should be the thickness of pulpy orange juice

I haven't tasted the Fudge Family Farms pork but the pigs in the Yucatan have a strong / full "free range" flavor that is tamed a bit with the sour orange & achiote.. in California restaurants they talk up the Berkshire pigs alot but they are actually quite bland.

Finally, did you use banana leaves? Their flavor isn't strong enough to notice it... but I definitely notice something missing when I don't use them (kind of like Bay leaves in a soup).

The Fudge pigs are really delicious. They are actually a hybrid of two heritage breeds (Fudge says they are 3/4 Duroc and 1/4 Berkshire). Most people refer to his as artisan hogs instead of heritage since they are actually his own hybrid. They have great marbeling and a very full flavor. Frank Stitt, Chris Hastings, and pretty much every other top chef in the area uses Fudge.

Fudge also raises his pigs outside so I would guess it's closer to what you mean by "free range" than most larger producers.

http://www.fudgepork.com/

Got it on the sauce. The spiciness of some chile is what I really was looking for. The first time I make something from a cookbook I like to be very faithful to the recipe and then make my adjustments on the second try. I'll give this a go next time.

I did use the banana leaves and I thought they provided some subtle notes that were more obvious to me when I sampled the meat plain than when I wrapped it in a tortilla.

BR, those hogs sound devine.

With regard to your cochinita pibil. I wasn't thrilled with the recipes from either Rick Bayless or Diana Kennedy, so I took what I did like from each recipe and kind of welded them together and made a custom pibil marinade/paste and let the meat rest overnight in the seasoning mixture. To cook it I lined my largest Dutch oven with banana leaves, wrapped the meat in more banana leaves, put it in the pot along with a little water to prevent scorching and sticking, and then covered the meat with yet more banana leaves, put the lid on and let it go for about 6 hours.

To ENs habanero salsa, don't forget to add some salt which will enhance the floral qualities in the flavor of the habanero. Also, if you want to get fancy with the salsa, add a little bit of finely minced white onion and a little bit of sour orange juice. If you don't have access to seville oranges, you can use a combination of lime, grapefruit and orange juices. You end up with the heat from the chiles, a little bite from the onion and a dose of acid from the citrus juice. All of it works particularly well with the pork.

Linda,

I made this this weekend and it turned out well though next time I'll change what broth I use. I only had about half as much chicken broth as the recipe called for but I had a good bit of shrimp stock. It ended up being a little too shrimpy. Next time, I'll try all chicken stock or chicken and fish.

Also, I cut the corn like he does in the book (into crosssections of the whole cob) but it ended up just confusing everybody as to how they should eat it. I finally just reached in my bowl and pulled mine out and ate it out of hand at which point everybody else followed suit.

Overall it was a delicious dish and very little work if you already have the guajillo sauce made.

Linda,

I made this this weekend and it turned out well though next time I'll change what broth I use. I only had about half as much chicken broth as the recipe called for but I had a good bit of shrimp stock. It ended up being a little too shrimpy. Next time, I'll try all chicken stock or chicken and fish.

Also, I cut the corn like he does in the book (into crosssections of the whole cob) but it ended up just confusing everybody as to how they should eat it. I finally just reached in my bowl and pulled mine out and ate it out of hand at which point everybody else followed suit.

Overall it was a delicious dish and very little work if you already have the guajillo sauce made.

Sounds like I got lucky. I only had chicken broth and was worried that it would be strange with seafood. So when I simmered the broth and guajillo sauce together, I threw in the shrimp shells (from the shrimp I'd peeled for the recipe) and a couple of extra shrimp. It only took an extra minute at the end to strain them out before proceeding with the recipe. That, with the final addition of seafood, resulted in a very balanced broth. From what you've described, I'll stick with that from now on.

Living in the northeast US, I won't have access to fresh corn on the cob for another 4 months, so I used the last bag of last summer's corn (stripped from the cob) that was in my freezer. I can easily imagine your problem. Sounds like the cross-sections are for pretty but not practical eating.

Linda,

Sounds like I got lucky. I only had chicken broth and was worried that it would be strange with seafood. So when I simmered the broth and guajillo sauce together, I threw in the shrimp shells (from the shrimp I'd peeled for the recipe) and a couple of extra shrimp. It only took an extra minute at the end to strain them out before proceeding with the recipe. That, with the final addition of seafood, resulted in a very balanced broth. From what you've described, I'll stick with that from now on.

Living in the northeast US, I won't have access to fresh corn on the cob for another 4 months, so I used the last bag of last summer's corn (stripped from the cob) that was in my freezer. I can easily imagine your problem. Sounds like the cross-sections are for pretty but not practical eating.

As a note.. the vast majority of Mexican soups that call for corn.. call for it on the cob (cut in thirds0... the flavor addition from the cob itself is a big plus, people fish it out and eat it with their hands... its also fantastic to suck the broth off the bare cob... but this is under very informal conditions.. in upscale restaurants they tend to simmer the bare cob with the broth for the flavor but only serve the corn kernels in the bowl.