• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cottage Roll

Darienne

The ingredient list: pork, water, salt, sodium erythorbate, dextrose, sodium nitrate, sodium bicarbonate.

So...DH did the shopping tout seule this morning and bought two of these things: cottage rolls. Neither of us has ever cooked one nor eaten one nor nothing nohow, and the information online is not to satisfactory.

What do I do with it? It's been brined, yes? Ed wants me to do it overnight in the slow cooker. Good idea? Yes? No?

It's meat so I don't thing they'll take it back. Help, please. :unsure:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hi Darienne:

We don't eat a lot of them but we have had a couple. I treat them as I would a smoked pork shoulder - I cover them with water and simmer them to a temperature of about 180. I don't add anything to them. They should be very tender when done. They are also quite tasty.

Thanks Elsie. I'll pop them in the slow cooker and let 'em go on low all night. Normally you don't have to put water in a slow cooker...I wonder if I should add the water or no?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

One of my childhood food memories is grandma cooking a big pot of green beans from her garden with a cottage roll (she called it "cottage ham" but it's the same thing) and a few potatoes in the pot as well. Good stuff. I'd eat 'til I couldn't move when she made it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I like pork, but I loathe ham. Is this going to taste like ham???? :shock:

Yes-ish.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Do you like corned beef? Cause it's more like that than actually like ham.

I wonder how it would work if you smoked it - sort of like make something akin to pastrami from corned beef.

I grew up eating these, not going to tell how many years ago, however. :blink:

I would think, after you pull it from the slow cooker, baste it with your favorite BBQ sauce and then maybe put it in a slow oven, just until the sauce has a chance to flavor the meat. Serve on buns with coleslaw.

---------------------------------------

Good memories of walking into the house to the smell of one of the first fall type meals. I think that I grew up eating them too, if it's the same thing as a daisy ham.

My mother would make a boiled dinner with it. Simmer if for quite a while, then add peeled and large cubed potatoes to simmer till just about tender. Then at the end, add a bag or two of cleaned spinach. That was back in the day when the spinach was sold in a bag, but it came sandy and had to be washed well. It came with big stems that you had to strip each leaf of. That chore is elimated in this day and age, it's all tender baby spinach in those bags, baby. :biggrin:

Tuesday morning, early.

It looks like ham, it smells like ham and it tastes like ham. And I loathe ham: looks, smells, taste, texture, and sorry...childhood memories of too much ham, and yes, with vegetarian parents. (long and confused story).

No decisions about what to do. I've cooked both rolls. We might give one to friends. We might just cut it up and give it to the dogs although it's way too salty in my opinion. No, I think the neighbors are the answer. Maybe Ed will eat one.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Tuesday morning, early.

It looks like ham, it smells like ham and it tastes like ham. And I loathe ham: looks, smells, taste, texture, and sorry...childhood memories of too much ham, and yes, with vegetarian parents. (long and confused story).

No decisions about what to do. I've cooked both rolls. We might give one to friends. We might just cut it up and give it to the dogs although it's way too salty in my opinion. No, I think the neighbors are the answer. Maybe Ed will eat one.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

They're definitely salty but dropping it in a huge pot of water, fresh green beans and potatoes and cooking it half the day seemed to solve most of that problem. Of course that doesn't solve the problem that it tastes like ham and you don't like ham. :raz:

Confectionery partner, Barbara, comes tomorrow and we are making some delectable item to give away. And she takes home two cooked cottage rolls. DH has apologized. No, of course, he didn't ask anyone about it before he bought it. Never again. End of story.

Thanks for the help.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.