• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate from Mexico

LizD518

I just returned from a vacation in Mexico and discovered the big (200g) bar of chocolate I had bought in the duty free shop while waiting at the airport. It is labeled Maria Tepozteca and is 70% chocolate with chiles. The texture is rough, and it doesn't have that glossy sheen and snap of nicely tempered chocolate but I'm kind of intrigued by it. I'm thinking brownies, with the addition of cinnamon might be a good way to use it. Alas, I am out of cinnamon ( :angry::blink: ) and in the middle of moving this week, so I'm not sure if that will happen, at least no for a few weeks. Has anyone had this chocolate, and what have you done with it?

Typical Mexican chocolate is made with roasted and ground cacao nibs, sugar, and cinnamon with chiles and other spices sometimes added. It is not tempered and does not have the smooth texture you would want in an eating chocolate. It is quite grainy and hard in texture. It is best used to cook with. From hot chocolate to mole

Its eating Chocolate.

For people used to the idea that Chocolate HAS to be tempered then you are going to experience some shock. If you approach it with an open mind.. you will soon love the Stone Ground chocolate. I cannot easily find Mexican eating chocolate in Hawaii.. but there is a very authentic producer from the Northeast called Tazza (they imported rustic, very old equipment from Oaxaca) that makes fantastic organic, stone ground disks for eating.

http://www.tazachocolate.com/

Its hard to explain... it is just a different paradigm in eating chocolate... give it a try. If you enjoy Mexican foods that are challenging to Euro phyllic tastebuds then you will also enjoy the Stone Ground stuff.

http://www.tazachocolate.com/

Its hard to explain... it is just a different paradigm in eating chocolate... give it a try. If you enjoy Mexican foods that are challenging to Euro phyllic tastebuds then you will also enjoy the Stone Ground stuff.

Interesting stuff. Thanks, EN

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've had a few Taza products and really liked them. This was ok to eat, but I think I'll pick up some milk and make hot chocolate - although isn't water traditional?